Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 06-11-2008, 12:07 AM

Default New to fly fishing- Caney Fork

Hey guys I've been fishing since I was two, and I absolutely love it. I'm finally of the age where I can pick up and go whenever I want, and I frequent the Caney Fork. I got really tired of all the fly fishermen treating me like an idiot because I used a spin rod, and I've always wanted to try fly fishing. I guess fishing is like snow sports, there is snowboarding and skiing- they hate each other just like fly and spin fishermen do. I've ran into A LOT of assholes and it just made me sick.

I was sitting here at home bored today, and I remembered my dad had a fly rod that he never learned to use. So I went and got it out, watched a few tutorials on Youtube, and put it to the test. I went to a local river that is mainly brim and bass, with an occasional trout, and tried it out. It's really hard to learn, but I did catch a bluegill, so that got my hopes up.

I have NO clue what needs to be done in order to be productive. The rod and reel is older than I am, and I'm going to be 18 in a few months. The fly I used today was a wet fly apparently, and I wanted to fish dry, so when I got home I put some scotch guard to make it float until I can afford to buy new flies. I wanted to go up to Center Hill and ask some of the fly fishermen for some tips and if I could watch them fish for awhile, but I'm scared that they will be jerks like the rest. What do I need to do?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:20 AM

the internet is a great resource for fly fishing information. I would definitely take advantage of it and learn as much as you can. that being said, there's only so much you can learn from reading. the quickest way to learn is by doing.

i don't think it would be wrong to just talk to some of the guys fly fishing there. when I first started, I stopped and talked to people all the time (and still do). the idea of the snob fly fisherman is some kind of perpetuated myth that I believe you'll see dissolve if you actually start talking to some guys. some people may be short with you, but I think most of them would be willing to at least talk and help you out some.

once, when I had only been fly fishing for a couple weeks, I stopped and talked to a guy who was suiting up and he invited me to fish with him for a few hours. he didn't even end up fishing that much and basically just guided me. He coached me on my cast, gave me flies, and put me onto alot of fish. Honestly, I think he enjoyed helping me more than he did fishing.

you can also look into a local TU or FFF organization in your area. You should find helpful people there and hopefully some that would be glad to take you along fishing for a day.

last but not least, find a good fly shop (like this one). they're in the business of helping people out and creating new customers. most will go over the top to give you information and assistance.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
the internet is a great resource for fly fishing information. I would definitely take advantage of it and learn as much as you can. that being said, there's only so much you can learn from reading. the quickest way to learn is by doing.

i don't think it would be wrong to just talk to some of the guys fly fishing there. when I first started, I stopped and talked to people all the time (and still do). the idea of the snob fly fisherman is some kind of perpetuated myth that I believe you'll see dissolve if you actually start talking to some guys. some people may be short with you, but I think most of them would be willing to at least talk and help you out some.

once, when I had only been fly fishing for a couple weeks, I stopped and talked to a guy who was suiting up and he invited me to fish with him for a few hours. he didn't even end up fishing that much and basically just guided me. He coached me on my cast, gave me flies, and put me onto alot of fish. Honestly, I think he enjoyed helping me more than he did fishing.

you can also look into a local TU or FFF organization in your area. You should find helpful people there and hopefully some that would be glad to take you along fishing for a day.

last but not least, find a good fly shop (like this one). they're in the business of helping people out and creating new customers. most will go over the top to give you information and assistance.
There are hundreds of fly fishing tutorials on Youtube, and one guy I really liked was Tim Landwehr (I think that was his name) from Tight Lines in Wisconsin. He actually took the time to explain what was wrong with your cast if _____ happened, and how to fix it.

The snob fishermen is definitely a reality, as it is becoming more frequent. My dad and I were floating our jon boat through some 2' water and there was no way to move around the other fishermen so as not to disrupt their fishing and a few got really pissed. What could we have done? It's not like we were using a huge outboard, or even a trolling motor, just floating with the current. They were insulting us and cursing for ruining their fishing.

I would really like for some avid fly fisherman to take me under his wing, I'm hopeless right now but it has only been one day since I started messing around with fly fishing. And I don't know what TU or FFF organizations are, but if they were in my area, I would bet that none would be willing to make the hour plus drive to Center Hill. And I think I'm screwed about flies, there aren't any fishing shops around here except for Walmart and Bass Pro 30 minutes away.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM

I don't know how far or how long it is of a drive for you but definitely get in touch with MTFFF. Middle TN Federation of Fly Fishers in Nashville. They will most certainly take you under your wing. I dont' know these guys personally but know one or two online. I can say this with confidence since I know that FFFF and TU (Trout Unlimited) will help you all they can. Go to www.fedflyfishers.org and click under councils and clubs.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
I don't know how far or how long it is of a drive for you but definitely get in touch with MTFFF. Middle TN Federation of Fly Fishers in Nashville. They will most certainly take you under your wing. I dont' know these guys personally but know one or two online. I can say this with confidence since I know that FFFF and TU (Trout Unlimited) will help you all they can. Go to www.fedflyfishers.org and click under councils and clubs.
With as high as gas prices are, it's all I can do to make it to the trout stream let alone make trips up to see some fellow fishermen. I bought some strike indicators, Cortland Nymph and streamer flies and grasshoppers, Keystone muddler minnow #10s, black wooly bugger, and brown wooly buggers.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Join some groups, get to know some people, and hang around on the board long enough and you will learn quite a bit. I suggest you go to a bookstore and get the "Complete Idiots Guide To Fly Fishing". Not calling you an idiot or anything , but with you being a beginner, it will give you a solid base to start fly fishing.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutAssassin View Post
Join some groups, get to know some people, and hang around on the board long enough and you will learn quite a bit. I suggest you go to a bookstore and get the "Complete Idiots Guide To Fly Fishing". Not calling you an idiot or anything , but with you being a beginner, it will give you a solid base to start fly fishing.
I can be on the board all day long, but money is definitely an issue with joining groups and going places. It's nice fly fishing because once you have your gear, you don't have to pay anything else like you would such as Powerbait, worms, etc. I'm not much for reading, but I have watched nearly every tutorial on Youtube. I went outside and started flipping a few lines out and I'm better now that I learned that my forearm does the powering, not my wrist.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:04 AM

ah the internet, good place to learn, nothing like spending time with someone that knows though.
MTFF meet's the first Wednesday of every month, it would be worth saving a few gallons of gas to make these meetings & go on outings with them, heck, they'll even haul you to the river, they typically hookup & share rides.
I know of a grouchy old fart that works in a shop on West End in Nashville that would be glad to help you as well.
I don't think most fisherman are snobs, they're just trying to escape the every day world for a few hours & spend some "my time" on the river without having to interact with anyone else

Grumpy
Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I don't think most fisherman are snobs, they're just trying to escape the every day world for a few hours & spend some "my time" on the river without having to interact with anyone else
I'm with Grumpy. I think most folks are just wanting to get away and are in the "zone" a bit when they get to a stream. I usually try to say "hi" to everyone I pass and almost everyone does the same. If you are polite and courteous I would bet that 95% of the people you see would answer most any question and perhaps even give you a fly or two. In fact, you might find that they wind up talking your ear off once you get them out of their trance.

The Caney Fork will be quite a bit different fishing than over here in the park, so it would be best to talk to some folks with some local knowledge...like those folks over on West End...whoever they are...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-12-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
ah the internet, good place to learn, nothing like spending time with someone that knows though.
MTFF meet's the first Wednesday of every month, it would be worth saving a few gallons of gas to make these meetings & go on outings with them, heck, they'll even haul you to the river, they typically hookup & share rides.
I know of a grouchy old fart that works in a shop on West End in Nashville that would be glad to help you as well.

Grumpy
I guess I can see that. I got on their site and their next outing is in the Smoky Mountains, I can't afford a trip like that, I just missed their Caney Fork outing. But I suppose I could get involved in some organizations. Would you be this grouchy old fart, or who do I look for if I can get some spare time to head up to Nashville? I think fishing alone is kind of dreary, but I do notice how unaware of other things you become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post
I'm with Grumpy. I think most folks are just wanting to get away and are in the "zone" a bit when they get to a stream. I usually try to say "hi" to everyone I pass and almost everyone does the same. If you are polite and courteous I would bet that 95% of the people you see would answer most any question and perhaps even give you a fly or two. In fact, you might find that they wind up talking your ear off once you get them out of their trance.

The Caney Fork will be quite a bit different fishing than over here in the park, so it would be best to talk to some folks with some local knowledge...like those folks over on West End...whoever they are...
So if I made a trip up to the Caney, should I ask someone that was suiting up or already on the water for fly fishing advice? I would like to think that none of them would be assholes to a newbie at fly fishing but you never know. I'm gonna hit up Nice Mill here in Smyrna later today, I'm not sure when the last time they have stocked but it's a decent place to learn.