Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Worrgamesguy,

Grumpy runs the fly fishing department at Cumberland Transit located on West End Avenue close to the Holiday Inn and across the street from the Parthanon. It is a great shop. I was a customer there for years before moving to the Smokies. I just talked to him a few minutes ago for some boat advice. His name is Ronnie and he is a very knowledgable fly fisherman and a nice guy. He just thinks he is Grumpy. Go there and he will help you. It will be worth the drive.

Byron
Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

btw...

"Grumpy" makes a brief appearance in this month's issue of Flyfisherman... article on the Cumberland that should be good for business.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Default Help

Worrgamesguy,

If you want to go to the Caney sometime, I will be happy to meet you there and share some flies and what little knowledge I have. Or, I will meet you for lunch sometime, and we can talk about where to go and what flies to use. Just let me know if you are interested, and I will give you an e-mail address.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Worrgamesguy,

Grumpy runs the fly fishing department at Cumberland Transit located on West End Avenue close to the Holiday Inn and across the street from the Parthanon. It is a great shop. I was a customer there for years before moving to the Smokies. I just talked to him a few minutes ago for some boat advice. His name is Ronnie and he is a very knowledgable fly fisherman and a nice guy. He just thinks he is Grumpy. Go there and he will help you. It will be worth the drive.

Byron
I can do that... Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwinn View Post
Worrgamesguy,

If you want to go to the Caney sometime, I will be happy to meet you there and share some flies and what little knowledge I have. Or, I will meet you for lunch sometime, and we can talk about where to go and what flies to use. Just let me know if you are interested, and I will give you an e-mail address.
Thanks, I'd really appreciate that. Maybe if Center Hill would stop generating for more than 3 or 4 hours... I went to Dick's yesterday and picked up some flies that weren't rusted (18+ years old). Here's what I picked up, as well as my rod setup. Anything that I need to do?

*pens mark tippet to tippet*

$40 later

Old 06-13-2008, 07:15 AM

That's cool, Don lives close to you & has offered to help, you're off to a good start.
I am the grouchy ol fart on West End, i do not like to advertise that fact on account of this being Byron's website, i always tell the folks headed his way to stop by LRO, for advice & the latest"top secret" flies & to just say hello to some great people.
I would tweak your leader a little for the Caney, 9' will work better & you'll hate to hear this, flourocarbon tippet(9.95) will work better on the sub surface patterns, of course, a shorter leader works fine for someone starting out, hopefully not as many tangles.
There's a little more to it than throwing a fly in the water & a fish jumping on it, somedays that works though keep in mind, it beat's work or going to classes & you'll always come home feeling better about time spent fishing.
I hope you get a chance to come by, hookup with Don & time on the water, with tese temps, a cool trout stream is my #1 pick for getting away from it all & it looks as if the Corps will be cutting the water back a little more.
I'm off this weekend, going to try & sneak out Sunday

Grumpy
Old 06-13-2008, 08:42 AM

Default Fishing

Worrgamesguy,

First, Grumpy is not grumpy at all. He is a really nice guy. He made me a really good deal on a Winston 4wt rod that did not have the correct case. I was able to make a minor adjustment and the case works fine. I would certainly go by and visit with him if I could. He has forgotten more about fly fishing than I will ever know.

I grew up fishing small streams in middle Tennessee with my dad. He would fly fish for Red Eye and Bream in those small streams. I was grown when I started fishing for trout. I still remember how frustrated I was trying to learn on my own. I read lots of books and magazines, but you really need personal help as every river is a little different. I still remember, more years ago than I want to admit, watching an older gentlemen wadding down the river catching fish after fish. I had been there for an hour with no luck at all. Of course, I had no idea what flies to use. Finally, I got up the nerve to ask him how he was catching all those fish. He laughed and told me, it was not him, it was the fly. He gave me a couple of flies, and I caught my first trout that day. I wish I could thank that man today. He has no idea what a gift that truly was. Also, if I had only gone to a local fly shop, it would have saved me a lot of anguish.

Enough of that, send me a message at donw@genesco.com and we will talk about a fishing trip.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
"Grumpy" makes a brief appearance in this month's issue of Flyfisherman... article on the Cumberland that should be good for business.
Uh Oh, Grumpy is famous. I hope he doesn't forget about his fans that he cultivated over decades.

Byron
Old 06-13-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's cool, Don lives close to you & has offered to help, you're off to a good start.
I am the grouchy ol fart on West End, i do not like to advertise that fact on account of this being Byron's website, i always tell the folks headed his way to stop by LRO, for advice & the latest"top secret" flies & to just say hello to some great people.
I would tweak your leader a little for the Caney, 9' will work better & you'll hate to hear this, flourocarbon tippet(9.95) will work better on the sub surface patterns, of course, a shorter leader works fine for someone starting out, hopefully not as many tangles.
There's a little more to it than throwing a fly in the water & a fish jumping on it, somedays that works though keep in mind, it beat's work or going to classes & you'll always come home feeling better about time spent fishing.
I hope you get a chance to come by, hookup with Don & time on the water, with tese temps, a cool trout stream is my #1 pick for getting away from it all & it looks as if the Corps will be cutting the water back a little more.
I'm off this weekend, going to try & sneak out Sunday

Grumpy
I'll be coming to see you soon enough. I wrote up a report on today's fishing at the Caney, but I am anxious to go again even though today wasn't so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwinn View Post
Worrgamesguy,

First, Grumpy is not grumpy at all. He is a really nice guy. He made me a really good deal on a Winston 4wt rod that did not have the correct case. I was able to make a minor adjustment and the case works fine. I would certainly go by and visit with him if I could. He has forgotten more about fly fishing than I will ever know.

I grew up fishing small streams in middle Tennessee with my dad. He would fly fish for Red Eye and Bream in those small streams. I was grown when I started fishing for trout. I still remember how frustrated I was trying to learn on my own. I read lots of books and magazines, but you really need personal help as every river is a little different. I still remember, more years ago than I want to admit, watching an older gentlemen wadding down the river catching fish after fish. I had been there for an hour with no luck at all. Of course, I had no idea what flies to use. Finally, I got up the nerve to ask him how he was catching all those fish. He laughed and told me, it was not him, it was the fly. He gave me a couple of flies, and I caught my first trout that day. I wish I could thank that man today. He has no idea what a gift that truly was. Also, if I had only gone to a local fly shop, it would have saved me a lot of anguish.

Enough of that, send me a message at donw@genesco.com and we will talk about a fishing trip.
Will get in touch with you soon, thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Uh Oh, Grumpy is famous. I hope he doesn't forget about his fans that he cultivated over decades.

Byron
I'm sorry about all the questions and the like, but I'm a lost cause. I'm not meaning to draw business away, and I hope I didn't. I need all the advice I can get.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:01 PM

Remember, LRO has a mail order business, just a click away

Famous, i'm nowhere ready for that nor do i think the world is ready for me

Grumpy
Old 06-14-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Remember, LRO has a mail order business, just a click away

Famous, i'm nowhere ready for that nor do i think the world is ready for me

Grumpy
Maybe if I were a little more serious about fly fishing.