Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-13-2008, 09:39 AM

Default Hiwassee Serenity

So I'm enjoying a nice pleasant summer evening of fishing on the scenic Hiwassee river...cool rushing water, blue sky, chirping birds and what do I hear something humming in the distance? Is it the generators, a helicopter or airplane? No, it's a boat full of guys coming towards me with an outboard motor! How dissapointing...especially when fishing by the boat ramp and the guy is motoring all around me while I am wading in the water. I guess it is public use land.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 AM

it wouldn't have been so disappointing if it was a boat full of girls
Old 06-13-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Golf

You know I was thinking that I couldn't have said it any better but, I think it woulda been better had it been a swealtering hot day that required bikini's. To take it a step farther they wouda had to have been throwing a streamer from the ol fly rod! Scerenity or heaven?

Guys in a motor boat whizzing by me for about 30mins I believe I would have left!

~Brett
Old 06-14-2008, 10:45 PM

Default Were they lost?

Did you ask them if they were lost? I would have been tempted to.

There is not a whole lot of water to put a motor boat on, even up there. I have seen it before, never have quite understood it.

There are boats every day of the summer that have girls in bikinis coming down river. Luckily the boats they are riding in don't have motors.

Petey
Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM

I think the Hiwassee has more bikinis per mile than any other tailwater in the southeast. Too bad about the boat and motor. Good thing that there are only a few places they can run them down there,
Old 06-16-2008, 02:03 PM

I don't know how this got to be about bikinis. By the way, is it legal to have outboards in the river?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:27 PM

Yes it is legal, but it is also quite nuts. Especially on the Hiwassee. You sure it wasn't a jet engine outboard, that is less risky.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-17-2008, 08:05 AM

It wasn't a jet. It was a 9 horse Evinrude on a 10 ft john boat. They hit lots of rocks, I guess he doesn't care about his prop.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:09 PM

Default Bread winners....

LOL.. some real Einstein's in that group.

It reminds of the time I was out there and this guy shows up at Big Bend with one of those fold up type dory's. I had just come off the river that morning as the water was rising. I ask him how he is doing, and at that moment he was doing great. He is dressed from head to toe in the finest Orvis had to offer and had this brand new foldable boat. I asked where was going in that boat, and he informed me all the way to Reliance. I asked him what type of water his boat was rated for, he looked at me with a puzzled look for just a split second. But this was not going to detour our fine fellow, he had a mission. The boat at the most was 8 feet long, with gunwales at 2'+, cute little oar locks and oars to match.

I asked him if he had ever floated that section of river? Nope. Have you ever wade fished it? Nope. I then questioned whether or not his little boat was made for such a trek. He then assured me that the maker had told him it was bomb proof.

I said good luck and happy hunting. Not much you can do after that but pray, if your the praying type.

It has been 6 years now, maybe more and I remember it like it was yesterday. You know the funny thing, I haven't seen that feller or his little boat since.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:17 PM

I have one of those boats up in Canada that we use for short portages to other lakes. I wouldn't want to be caught in any moving water in that boat, especially with rocks around. It is great for lakes but you can feel the water underneath your feet when you stand up to move around. You can't fix stupid.