Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 AM

Default two fly rigs

I took the family over to the NC side of the park this weekend for our monthly camping trip. I fished a little in the campground area on saturday morning while it was still cool. I rigged up a dual dry fly combo with a yellow stimi and a cinn/black para ant pattern. Got a few on the stimi. but most came on the ant pattern. I've fished these dual dry rigs out west with hoppers and beetles and they work well together. I think the fish will watch the bigger fly and hesitate but at the last second will slam the smaller fly. Anyone else use this tactic around here? Ever got a double on it?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Troutman,

I haven't done it, but I really like the idea. I also had very good success with an ant pattern this Sunday. I actually felt like the fish like the ant better than the green weenie, which is the first time I have ever felt that way. All but one of my bigger fish came on the ant. Some of the fish were coming up from 3-5 feet off the bottom to nail it. I'm gonna try the dual dry sometime, it just never occurred to me to try it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Matt
Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Troutman,

I bought some ants from the Creel before they closed just for that purpose. Have not brought myself around to trying it yet but you've inspired me to give it a whirl. Thanks for the reinforcement.
(Now, there's a new MB warning! You have to wait 180 seconds between posts so I have 58 seconds left.? I guess I'm just in too big a hurry to run out and work in the yard tonight and got in a rush. My bad, Paula.)

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 06-09-2008, 09:21 PM

Default Ants

I have yet to fish a foam ant but I am curious about how you decide on the size of the ant. Is the ant supposed to be a realiatic size for the area or is the ant fly more of a stimulator to the fish
Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Brook Fan,

I've never actually paid attention to the ants at the specific streams I fish. The ant I was fishing this past weekend was a size 14, which is probably bigger than the average ant. I have had good success on smaller ants as well. Sometimes I like a little bit bigger flies when fishing terrestrials so they make a little more of a splash when they hit the water. Just my experience.

Matt
Old 06-10-2008, 09:53 AM

The ant patterns I usually use are a #16 for around here. Tried some #18 but my 41 year old eyes prefer the bigger flies!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 AM

Ill second these two guys, use #14 and #16 in black ant patterns. I have yet to fish a foam ant but my go to ant pattern is a #14 Hi-Viz para ant.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 PM

TroutAssassin, Troutman, and scflyfisher

Thanks guys I appreciate the information. I'm glad to hear the #14 and #16 sizes because I was not looking forward to attempting to track a #18 or #20 black ant in the water.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
The ant patterns I usually use are a #16 for around here. Tried some #18 but my 41 year old eyes prefer the bigger flies!
shoot, my 28 year old eyes prefer the big ones myself and usually with a nice white parachute!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:32 AM

Default ants

I like this idea a lot. I fished west prong last Sunday with a hi-viz parachute ant pattern and they absolutly tore it up. But seriously My ant looked more like a black string of yarn when I left. I think I'll give this two fly method a try.

<>< John Zimmerman