Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 AM

Default Fishing Report 6/2-6/6

Well, it took me a while, but I figured I'd post a Smokies report for last week. I spent much of the time fishing the East Prong of Little River (my fiancee, Regan, was tying up some loose ends for our wedding in Townsend in October that I couldn't really be a part of, and she was gracious enough, as always, to let me chase after wild trout and zen out on the streams). I spent a couple days exploring the lower river in the Park between the Y and the Sinks early in the week, then upstream of Metcalf Bottoms mid week, and fished Road Prong on Friday in the afternoon (along with several other anglers).
I noticed that few folks on this forum have been fishing Little River below the Sinks recently, but for anyone interested, especially with nymphing, the fish are there--I caught a number of wild Rainbows, most 4-8", and including a couple 10", and one that was a good 11", the last just beautiful, with olive green and lemon yellow sides, and warm red stripe and gill plates. I also missed or lost at least as many as I landed, these trout are lightning quick, and on Monday hooked what I believe was a large Brown over 15" in a nice riffle run (about halfway between the Y and the Sinks), but the fly simply came out in heartbraking fashion. Also, I found a bunch of good-sized hatchery bows throughout this stretch in the deeper runs, and kept 4 of these, 11-13", for dinner (something I haven't done in 10 years) for Regan and I, along with some of her friends from back in high school; I figured the hatchery trout with any survival instinct decided to make for the cooler waters of the Park. Nymphs worked best for me in this stretch, especially a #10 BH brown Rubberlegs for the point on 5X, and a #16 BH PT on 6X for the dropper.
Above Metcalf Bottoms, I caught mostly 4-7" Rainbows and a few Browns, both on the nymphs above and on a #16 Neversink Caddis yellow (I tied some of these up after reading the posts here, I love this fly) on 6X, and also caught another Rainbow that was a solid 11", a dark, strong fish that grabbed the PT from a deep swirling pocket in the evening, and again, missed lots of others, including an 11-12" Brown from the tail of a long flat run that rose to a #12 black foam beetle, on Friday morning. I didn't detect any larger Browns up here on this trip, but I know they are in there.
Friday afternoon at Road Prong was wonderful, although I suspect another angler or two fished through the water I visited before me, as many of the pockets and pools seemed absent of fish, from the 4th bridge up to the falls. All the same, I caught a handful of specs (my first in the Smokies), the best being a brilliant 7.5" fish with a crimson orange belly that seemed to glow like embers, and just clobbered the Neversink Caddis (I tried a yellow PA and Elk Hair Caddis, but the fish seemed to prefer the Neversink). Road Prong is a special place, with each plunge pool and cascade seemingly more lovely than the last--I can see why people on this site like this stream so much. Incidentally, I also backtracked close to the 2nd bridge in early evening, fished up to the 3rd bridge, and found only Rainbows, including one colorful 10" bow.
Sooooooo, I had a pretty good time of it fishingwise, the brookies were probably the highlight, but good to see some larger wild Rainbows as well in Little River, looks like some of them weathered the drought from last year. I can't wait to return to the Smokies with Regan to get married this fall, and maybe we can chase a few trout together as well!
Many thanks to LRO as well, spent some $$ on hats, maps, and a pair of Chota wading booties (I noticed some other folks on the forum bought these as well, they're great), all the folks there were friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.
I'll try to post some pics, too, once I get the film developed!

Tight lines, Iain
Old 06-14-2008, 12:43 AM

Sorry but... um... Specs? Another word for brookies or what? Brookies are the only trout that come to mind with orange bellies.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:29 AM

You got it. Specs is just another term for brookies (spots or specs on their sides).

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 06-14-2008, 04:10 PM

I was on of the guys on Road Prong Friday afternoon. I took my old man up there, and almost killed him on the mile walk to the fourth bridge. We had a pretty slow start, as there were two guys had just fished the water ahead of us. As it got into evening we started finding some fish and each brought a 7-incher to hand. We hightailed it down to the Little between Elkmont and Metcalf for the last bit of light and we each hooked big browns right next to each other. I got a good look at the old man's fish before it broke his tippet and that ole boy had to be 16-18 inches. I hooked a big one right after that, but I guess I had gotten a little too used to hoisting brookies out of the water, because I horsed the fish a little too much and pulled the fly out of his mouth after he ran to the bottom of the pool. Driving back toward Maryville in the dark I saw a good-sized, healthy looking bear drag itself out of the little river, run through my headlights, and the scale the cliff next to the road. He stopped halfway up and looked back over his shoulder to make sure we weren't chasing him, and he looked like Spiderman clinging to that slope. Fantastic end to a great day.
I love fishing with the old man, but things have changed. He commented on the way back to the truck from Road Prong how our roles had reversed in fishing. I'm 32 and he's 57. He couldn't see the 7X tippet in the shadows well-enough to tie his own flies on, so he reluctantly asked me to help him. I carried water for him to drink. I walked behind him on the trail so that we would go at his pace. I held his rod when he needed both hands on the rocks. And I started thinking, by the time my boys are old enough to keep up with me, I won't be able to keep up with them
Old 06-14-2008, 05:43 PM

Also, fished Road Prong today for the first time, and got a few brookies which were my first in the park. As many others have said that has to be one of the best streams in the park.