Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Help

About to put in an order to LRO and since the Creel has closed(it was my closest fly shop I am going to order some flies as well. What all should I order to keep me going for the rest of the summer? I fish mostly the Clinch with all the other tailwaters thrown in there. Just any fly that works at anytime through out the summer would be appreciated so I do not have to make multiple orders or worry for the rest of the summer when a new hatch or pattern is working. Thanks guys. Ben.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:36 PM

Default Flies

Ben Sounds like you are ready to start tying. A spool of mohair yarn and black thread on a bobbin with a bead head and you can tie up a black leech pattern that will catch fish. Tie a simple brassie off the bend and you are decently covered. Tying is not that hard. Beautifully proportioned flies with elegant lines, that's real hard. My dry flies, after 15 years of tying, look like miniature tumbleweeds. Give it a go! Monk
Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default tying

Man He's right Monk. Tailwater flies, especially midge larva are super easy to tie. usually some thread a bead and some wire is all you need. Also, it will give you something to do when you can't be on the river. Another plus is when you tie up enough you'll have to pull out the old box and re-organize, and very quickly you'll see the progression of your flies from sloppy to much neater and better looking.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:59 AM

I agree that it is time to start tying. The upfront money is more than you will spend on an order of flies but that investment will soon pay off. I can sit down and tie a ton of zebra midges in no time. I started about a year ago so I'm not very good at tying but I can catch fish with what I tie. It's another great facet of the sport.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:08 PM

Alright well I have toyed with the idea, I have seen orvis has a kit to start with does LRO or anyone else have a good beginner kit?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Ben

We carry probably the best kit out there, the Dyna King Kingfisher Kit. It's $225, but it has the kingfisher vise, Dr. Slick tools, a DVD and book and materials.

We don't have one in stock currently, but we are ordering one tomorrow for another customer. We'd be happy to get one in for you to see.

Paula
Old 06-16-2008, 12:02 PM

Talking

Ben,
I agree with everyone that says to try tying. It is such a joy to see a fish eat something that you tied yourself.
It becomes as addicting as fishing itself.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Default I agree

I agree with every one above. Tying your own adds a element of satisfaction and if you can not make it to a fly shop or order what you need for a fishing trip can take care of it yourself.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Here is a great book that I think is a must have when starting out tying.
http://www.amazon.com/Benchside-Intr...004148&sr=1-16

It has helped me out a tone and the way the book was designed makes it very easy to learn to tie a particular fly.