Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-15-2008, 11:24 PM

Default Chimney Tops 6/14-15/08 report

Well it's official I have FINALLY caught all of the different types of trout the GSMNP has to offer. It was more or less just getting to the right location to catch a brookie.

But as for the report... Saturday I fished and areas near chimney tops with a co worker from denso and we did fairly well. we caught some were in the upper teens. Two being good browns, one being a brookie, and the other rainbows. We use a mix of flies the main key ended up going small 16 or 18 a staying with a yellow or kaki color fly.

Today I went to the same general area by myself and ended up with about the same number of fish but 6 were brookies and the rest were bows with the same fly selection.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 06-15-2008, 11:26 PM

Congrats! I haven't made it to the Tops yet.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:27 PM

Oh and the picture thats by my name is my first brookie that I caught today. Yeah the reason that I went back today is that I didn't catch the one the day before Mike did.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 PM

Just curious, when you guys talk about fishing the "tops", are you talking about the section of stream that runs along the picnic area or another area? I was vacationing in the GSM last week and failed to catch a brookie. My goal was to catch at least one of each, but that did not happen. Someone tole me to fish higher in the mountains and suggested the Chimney area, so I went to the picnic area about 8am and rock hopped up the stream for a while, but never caught a brookie. Caught a few bows and saw a really nice one hit my fly, but I missed it!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:39 PM

Yep...you had to go higher - it's a bit confusing. You started off at the Chimneys picnic area. If you continue up the road a bit, you will see the trailhead for the Chimney Top trail - it's almost always packed with cars.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:07 PM

yea, it sure is crowded. Be prepared to see lots of hikers and answer questions like "Are there really fish in there?" It sure is a nice place to fish though. Tons of big brookies.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
yea, it sure is crowded. Be prepared to see lots of hikers and answer questions like "Are there really fish in there?" It sure is a nice place to fish though. Tons of big brookies.

What's a big brookie up there?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 PM

I would say a big brookie there would be a big brookie anywhere in the park...to me, that's anything over 7 inches. A 10 inch spec would be a true trophy - I would take a ton of pictures and get a fiberglass replica of one of those. The best I've done is 8, but it was sure a skinny cuss.

Elk:

It's funny you mentioned the touristas....my oldest daughter was heckled by a #$$#$#$#$# on Road Prong last year...he just "KNEW" there were no fish in there. When she promptly caught one in front of the guy's eyes, he then belittled her for such a small fish - I guess he expected a blue marlin...you can't win in that situation.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:48 PM

I too fished Chimney Tops last Saturday and Sunday. Fished from 7-10 each morning. Lots of Rainbows and one Brookie. He was little but acted big. Fish early and get a parking place at the trailhead!!! They hit anything with yellow in it last weekend.