Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-17-2008, 08:58 AM

Default Hiwassee Streamer Fishing

I'm thinking of heading up to the Hiwassee in a few weeks to try out a new rod I am finishing up building and want to primarily throw streamers and possibly throw them on a sink tip. What I'm wondering is what type of natural bait is found in the water locally. Are there any sculpin, crawfish, etc.? Do any of you have any experience with streamer fishing on the Hi?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:53 PM

I've had success w/ wooly buggers, olive, black, and white. here's a video on tying the "hiwassee streamer". I've never used it, but it's said to be effective.

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/knacks...remer/7563479/
Old 06-17-2008, 01:05 PM

I you are fishing in the evening after the water turns off (7pm 1 turbine, 8 pm 0 turbines), there will not be a whole lot of water for your sinking tip.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:27 PM

TroutMaster,

Is this the normal generation schedule during the summer time? Do they run any during the night?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Your typical flow from now on for the next few months (until the end of rafting season) is going to be 1 turbine pulsed every 4 hours until they turn on water at 10 AM. They will turn one turbine at 10 AM until 11 AM. At 11 AM they will then turn on 2 turbines until 7 PM. At 7 PM they will cut back to 1 turbine until 8 PM. After 8 PM they will go back to the pulsing schedule.
The entire time all of this is happening TVA is spilling a constant 25 cfs from the Hiwassee dam but that doesn't amount to a significant amount of water.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM

Would I avoid the rafters if I decided to float from Reliance to 411, or 411 to Patty instead from the powerhouse down? I have only fished the river a few times and have never even seen a raft so I must have gotten really lucky. I was planning on going up July 4th weekend but am starting to think I may go somewhere else to avoid the people.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:46 PM

Default Floating the Hiwassee

You can do the lower section of the Hiwassee on low water, but this time of year the temps are warming up down there and the trout population has usually thinned out. Now smallies and large mouth will be making there way up river and should be in that section of water if you want to chase them. It is a fairly easy float, nothing aggressive about it except for a couple of small shoals.

You really need at least 1 turbine to float from Reliance to 411. Depending on your boat, if you are in a canoe or raft and it is easy to drag then it can be done. If you are in a drifter then it is a no go. The water won't get to Reliance until about 1:30 - 2:00 in the afternoon.

The only real section that rafters hit is the upper section, it is the most popular section of river for both fishing and floating.

If you are wanting to avoid crowds then the Hiwassee on July 4th weekend may not be your cup of tea.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:14 PM

It's not that I want to avoid all of the people. I would just like to fish with out getting run over by rafts and canoes. I already talked with a coworker who said he knows of a group of 25+ people going to canoe for that weekend.

Since they are only pulsing a single turbine once every four hours until 10:00, is the upper section worthwile to float or drag before they turn on the water? I have a single person 'toon that is plenty easy to drag if I need to. Is it better to fish on the rising, level, or falling water up there?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 AM

If you hit the river early or late you will avoid the crowds of rafters. As soon as they turn the water on it looks like a kayak hatch and you will see kayaks, tubes and rafts everywhere.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 PM

Is it better to wade when there is no water release or can you get to more water floating in 'toon?