Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 AM

Default West Prong ?

Hello all, my uncle and i are thinking of heading up the west prong trail to campsite 18 and fishing upstream of there this weekend and i was wondering what we could expect. I have never been there before but we like to get away from the crowds and figured that would be a good place to do it since it doesn't get much pressure. Also, is there any access to the stream from the bote mtn. trail upstream of 18?

While we're at it, we are also going up thunderhead upstream of sams creek, isn't there an old manway/trail that takes you up there. Thanks alot.

By the way, see y'all at LRO on friday.

Craig
Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Craig,

Overall, WP Trail to campsite 18 is a reasonable hike, but the final rocky descent is a bit tricky.

Good luck,

Joe Fred
Old 06-17-2008, 12:23 PM

Unhappy

Craig, the WP at campsite #18 is pretty small and with the amount of rain we have had lately (almost none), it will be really skinny. Last spring it had lots of little rainbows around #18, but I'm not sure how they fared during the drought.

There is no access to the stream from Bote Mtn directly. Unless you count bushwhacking several hundred feet...

The trail you're referring to is the Defeat Ridge Manway and is an unmaintained trail. It crosses Thunderhead Prong twice before taking a small side trip toward Sam's Creek and then heading back toward Thunderhead Prong. You could start fishing from a couple of different spots. Here is a capture of the trail at/above the 2nd crossing of Thunderhead (the first is over a bridge, the second [shown here] is a rock-hop - there is also a small rock hop before this on Long Branch):

Let us know how its goes...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Thumbs up Access to campsight 18

Water is getting a little low on the west prong but lots of eager rainbows. They are taking the standard flies for this time of year,I would have some yellow elk hair caddis and such. I would fish down stream and up stream from the campsight. There are several nice pools that will hold fish. I find the Bote mountain trail up not bad you will hit the west prong trail and make a left turn down to the west prong. I would recomend the west prong trail form the road to Tremont. Better parking and a nice hike.

You can also acces the west prong from the parkin area on Laurel Creek road the fishing there as been good lately and once you get up stream a little very few people.

Good luck and catch some fish.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the responses and i will definitely let you know how it goes. With the water being an issue should i look for somewhere else to go besides the west prong?

One option that looks enticing is road prong up off of 441. We could hike in a couple miles and try it up there, but is that a stream that will not carry much water during low water conditions as well? Thanks again for all of your help.

Craig

Last edited by mtnman2888; 06-17-2008 at 01:18 PM..
Old 06-17-2008, 02:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62

When do you plan to go?
At the moment it is not bad the flow is OK.
I good alternative is some of the higher streams that are easy to get to like the Chemny tops.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:21 PM

Craig, Road Prong fished pretty well last year even during the drought. The temps stay low and even when the water is down, it still has a good flow with lots of plunge pools. If you come down from Clingmans Dome Rd on Road Prong Trail, you will have a pretty brutal hike on the way out and you may have to travel at least a mile down to water that is worth fishing (and really probably should go down to Trickling falls and start from there-going up (below the 5th bridge[the only bridge on the Road Prong Trail]). It might be a bit shorter (but more crowded) to hike in from the Chimney Tops Trail and take the Road Prong Trail to the same spot (but where's the fun in that?).

Since you are already in that area, I would think Upper Deep Creek or the Left Fork of Deep Creek, might be better options. I was there last weekend, didn't see a soul and caught some nice fish in a very short trip. But that's just my $.02

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Thunderhead Prong

I've been looking for a while and I can not find it anywhere on the map could anyone point in the right direction?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 PM

It joins with Lynn Camp near the end of the Tremont Road to form the Middle Prong of the Little River.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 PM

Yeah I see now thanks for the help, it was not identified on the map that I was looking at.