Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-17-2008, 11:52 AM

Default Bear Activity

My son and his friends are planning to entertain me on my Birthday next weekend with a little shore lunch on the trail a couple of miles or so above Elkmont near the Cucumber Gap trail. Any word on agressive bear activity in that area that might be encouraged with the aroma of fried trout?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:32 PM

Currently the only campsites close for bear activity is 15 and 53. I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure and clean everything up afterwards so the smell doesn't linger around. If you're just doing a day trip, it's doubtful that one will come up on you while you are cooking. If you do happen to see one, though, make sure and take advantage of it, they are truly magnificent creatures.

Some horse riders came in to our campsite on ravens fork last year and decided to cook steak and potatoes and then leave at dusk while leaving there leftovers near camp. I just knew we were going to have a bear come through camp that night but luckily we didn't. Sorry, no relevance at all.........

Craig
Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. We will make sure we clean up real good.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:27 PM

I was fishing/car camping in West Virginia once and we decided to have some trout for our last nights dinner. We kept a pan full and began cooking them about a half hour before dark. Shortly after they hit the hot butter in the pan, we heard this horrible screaching sound coming from the woods. It started circling the woods around our car, tents, and cooking setup. My buddy grabbed his gun and "covered me" as I packed up the tents and threw them in the car. I dumped the pan of trout out on the ground and we backed the car up. Out came a bear a few minutes later and ate our dinner. We opted to leave and head back south and camped in an RV park some where in TN, got up and fished the park the next day. We probably over reacted but it was the first bear encounter I have had. I'm glad the trout didn't go to waste. That said, I have never had a problem with bears in the park and have seen quite a few around a few different camp sites. What I do now is to cook the food away from camp, and sink the pans and dishes in the creek for the night to conceal the smell. A cleanly camp and hung food bags also helps alot.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:46 AM

Hiked up the LR trail last Thursday up to the forks of the river and saw no bear signs at all....the next day we were walking down to the water of the LP at the Huskey Gap pull out and jumped a sow and her cub at about the half way point....what we saw were their tail ends heading away from us....resulted in a lot of one eyed fishing....other looking into the woods.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:20 AM

Last Thursday I was fishing above metcalf bottoms and crossed over to the side of the river opposite the road. Hooked a nice little bow and as I brought it over to the gravel I was standing in I noticed sizeable bear tracks right at my feet that were fresh. Never saw the bear, but got the bajeebers scared out of me by two deer as I was loading up. Bear thoughts tend to linger in the mind....
Old 06-18-2008, 03:54 PM

I have been fishing in the park for almost 50 years....I have seen more bear and bear sign on the WPLP between the Sugarland Visitor Center and the Chimney's picnic area than anywhere else that I have fished.