Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Default Caney Fork advice/help

I'm staying at a lake house on Center Hill lake for the weekend and I'm going to be on the river every day. What would be the best way to find out generation schedules, call TVA or go down regardless and find out myself? Which flies have you had luck with (please PM me if you want to keep it secret, I've only caught 1 fish on my fly rod and it was a bream 1 week ago when I started teaching myself to fly fish)? Where are some decent pull off spots? I usually go under the dam, but there is only so far you can go before it gets too deep or too wooded. So if I were to cross the dam and go along that road, where would it take me and how far does it follow the stream? I appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me, it really means a lot helping a newbie out
Old 06-17-2008, 11:07 PM

http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakein...bmit=View+info

Copy this into your url for the release schedules of Center Hill Dam. They normally do not release the generation schedule until the afternoon of the day before. I went a week ago below the dam and did very well with a 18 black zebra midge.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

There's a link on Byron's daily Fishing Report page - left hand column - to most if not all TVA dams in the region. You can check out the generation schedules usually by 6 pm the day before.

If you park in the ramp access lot on the north side of the dam, you can hike down through the park below the ranger's station to access the river quite a ways below the dam. Once you come out of the park, you can easily walk down the rock pile directly into wadeable water or bear to the right and follow the bank trail even farther down to the first major shoals. I've had great luck wading this entire stretch. You can wade and fish it both ways -- up or down. You can wade in at the rock pile access and fish: 1) wet flies and streamers down and across, 2) casting an indicator/dropper rig directly across or up into the channel that runs along the south bank.

If you choose to hike down a bit farther to the first major shoals, you can wade quite easily almost to the first bluffs. You'll need to wade across to the south bank to make it all the way, but it's definitely worth the effort. Suggest hitting this area in the early to mid afternoon if the generation schedule cooperates. When the sun's behind you it lights up the stream bottom and you can sight-fish to your heart's content.

Suggest size 16 to 20 midges dropped about 24" off an indicator or dry fly. Zebra midges, black and red midges, red and black midges, grey and silver midges, olive and copper midges.... midges and more midges. Just switch around until you find what they want. My first Caney brown was taken on a size 30 black and red midge dropped 18 " off a parachute Adams.

Early this year I spent the day wading the first mile or so just as I described above. I didn't get totally skunked but it was not my best effort, to say the least. As I was stowing my gear at the car at the end of the day, another FF'er pulled into the parking lot to retrieve his car/trailer. I recognized him from a drift boat that had passed thru where I was wading earlier in the day. He asked how I had done and I told him it wasn't one of my better days. He told mer he never fishes the Caney without a fly box full of black and red or red and black, silver bead midges. He said he'd been pulling in everything from 8" to 20" with midges dropped off an indicator.

Give it a shot.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 AM

Look at the post on the Caney from 6-7-08, i posted a link there for access points, yes, i'm to lazy to do it again i agree with the midge suggestions.
Come by & see me sometime, you can print the map off that link, i'll mark the times on it to expect water from the release, that way we won't hear a near drowning story

Grumpy
Old 06-18-2008, 04:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Just for kicks, I Googled the words "Caney Fork River". the very first hit is a pretty good article that answers just about every question asked here.

Check it out:

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/...ork-trout.html
Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 PM

I guess I should have been more specific, the lake house won't have internet access. I have seen that S.E.O. link before, and found it pretty helpful. The lake house is on the lake, and I will be driving down to the dam and I will probably drive down Highway 141 to see where it takes me. When I float the river I've seen some pretty flat spots with the fine gravel bottom that I wish I knew how to get to. I probably won't do much fly fishing but I've got a few flies that are 8 or 10 sized. I've got black and brown wooly buggers, a streamer assortment, a grasshopper assortment, and some other types. I'll check some of the shops to find some midges. I don't like how long my leader is, it annoys me and always slips inside the eyelets and the fly slips through also. I'm gonna shorten it up some, so I won't be fly fishing much. I've been doing excellent on brown rooster tails, so I'll probably stick with that and try to work on my fly casts. I either end up slapping the water in front of me with the fly, or get caught in the weeds behind me. I'm pretty good at false casting when I'm not getting caught in weeds.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:12 PM

Default Leader length

Just asking, how long of a leader are you using? For the tailwaters I rarely go below 9' and typically use closer to 12'. I have found that my strike ratio is much greater with this longer length leader.

Also, if you have a chance, it doesn't hurt to get out in the yard and practice casting. I had to do that back when I was teaching myself. After I got the basics down, I got some movies to help me refine my technique. Time spent in the yard working on casting can translate into more time catching fish instead of untangling knots and snags.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Just asking, how long of a leader are you using? For the tailwaters I rarely go below 9' and typically use closer to 12'. I have found that my strike ratio is much greater with this longer length leader.

Also, if you have a chance, it doesn't hurt to get out in the yard and practice casting. I had to do that back when I was teaching myself. After I got the basics down, I got some movies to help me refine my technique. Time spent in the yard working on casting can translate into more time catching fish instead of untangling knots and snags.

Travis
I believe 7'? It just seems ridiculously long. My old leader was one of those mesh-Chinese finger trap type deals that has a tube you slide over it, and melt on that way it doesn't slip off. I had a good 2-3' of tippet on top of that, and I liked it a lot more. I cast a lot in my yard, but I always end up losing flies or yanking the yarn (fly like practicing material) off. I can get decent loops in the air, but when I go to lay it down it all bunches up and doesn't fly out straight. I see all these people whipping their poles really fast and flinging the pole down and making the line slash across the water, but somehow the fly stays up in the air until it gently touches down after all the line, leader, and tippet does. I have a LOT to learn, but I'm willing.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:40 AM

You can get by with a shorter leader on the buggers, 9' or longer seems to work best on low water & midges(smaller flies).

Grumpy
Old 06-20-2008, 07:15 PM

Just an FYI if you are looking to access at Kirby Road. The road sign has been taken down (or at least it was about a month ago). Could be hard to find if you don't know where it is.