Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-18-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Canoeing the Holston?

Hi,

Our family is going to be in the area next week, and I am looking for a good canoe/fly fish outing. I am wondering what the options are for floating the Holston (Cherokee tailwater). If we put in below the dam, are there canoe takeouts within a few miles, or do you have to go all the way to Nance's Ferry?

Also is the water pretty calm the whole way, or does it vary (based upon water releases, etc)?

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:15 PM

There are a few spots before Nance's Ferry. However, they are on the back of people's land, which is kind of sketchy. To my knowledge I don't know of a legitimate take out spot, but others may know of some spots.

As far as the water goes, I would take a look at the water release schedule because if not you will be doing a lot of paddling. I went on a 3day camping/fishing trip 2 weeks ago down the Holston, and they changed the water on us so we were paddling non-stop for 3-4 hours before the water finally reached us. Hope this helps!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM

Indian Cave is the only other access open to the public. It's at the end of Indian Cave Rd. on the Rutledge side of the river. Unless you're camping like fanatic, it has to be a point at one end of your trip. Also, if you want to catch many fish, it will be when they're not running any generators, which makes for shallow water in a couple spots and might require you to get out and walk it through... I've never done it in a canoe but i have have in a drift boat. Good luck
Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 AM

You are looking at 12-13 miles from the Dam to Indian Cave. Then it is another 6-7 from Indian Cave to Nances.

If they aren't generating water you have a series of moving water followed by long slow pools.

I have floated the upper section with little to no generation and it is an all day affair. From dark to dark.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:01 PM

All the above are incorrect.

There is a take out for canoes that is public just below Buffalo Springs, about 8 miles from the dam. It is an easy float with little if any riffles and should take about 6-7 hours if you are not fishing.

Or you can float from Indian Cave to Nances ferry which is about 7 miles of riffles and flat water same float time and a little more scenic and less developed.

Easy float, and options abound.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 PM

So exactly what did I say that was incorrect?

Is it not 12-13 miles to from the Dam to Indian Cave?

During that float does the river not have a series of moving water followed by long slow pools?

Am I am wrong about my information from Indian Cave to Nances Ferry?

By the way, I am not trying to start a conflict. Just curious as to what you took exception to in what I typed. I have never used the public take-out at Buffalo Spring, and I didn't even think about it being there.

Last edited by Petey; 06-19-2008 at 11:16 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 06:49 AM

Sending someone from the dam to Indian Cave is like sending someone from Knoxville to Memphis rather then Knoxville to Chattanooga.

Sean, if you all are floating that in drift boats then more power to you, but sending a family out for a day canoe trip on that float is just not right. It is far too long and get to the point of being non-enjoyable.

You were incorrect in implying there were no other takes out other then Indian Cave.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:09 AM

Wolf, my initial reply was to only add to what had been posted. That is why I let them know it was 12-13 miles and an all day affair "Dark to Dark" if they were to try to go from the Dam to Indian Cave. After re-reading my initial post, I guess by referring to it as the upper section it would have been misleading.

That was not my intention. I was just trying the give the guy warning that by doing that float he was looking at a very long stretch of water.

That is all. I didn't mean to imply anything.

Sorry to the poster whom initiated this post, I wasn't trying to mislead you by intent. Just trying to give you some heads up info to help you make a decision.

Waterwolf, email me at SeanP@mbiarch.com . Evidently you know me since you called me by name, just curious as to whom you are.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Sean, if you all are floating that in drift boats then more power to you, but sending a family out for a day canoe trip on that float is just not right. It is far too long and get to the point of being non-enjoyable.
That is a matter of opinion. Petey told him how far it was and made it perfectly clear it was an all day trip. If you don't know him or his family, it is a little presumptuous to determine what they will or will not enjoy.

Tampico access is private. I'm sure we can all list a host of other private accesses on the Holston and if you want to recommend them to people, fine, but for you to make the statement that "all of the above is incorrect" is incredibly ridiculous. Tone down your inane commentary, please.

Last edited by golfballs03; 06-20-2008 at 02:49 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 06:04 PM

INDIAN CAVE IS NOT A PUBLIC TAKE OUT even the owner allows use, be respectful and obtain permission for use