Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-19-2008, 09:32 PM

Default First Smallie!

Well I finally worked up the nerve to take out my Kayak today. I started catching Bluegill pretty quickly. After several of those I managed this guy. He's small, but I'm proud of him. Many thanks to all the folks I've been bugging for information and an extra thanks to Byron for those special poppers! Oddly enough this water is right in my front yard. I was able to put in and paddle back up pretty easy. I'll probably put in somewhere up river next time and float back home.

The only problem I had was the anchor system. I stuggled to put the boat at angles that I wanted. Any tricks to anchoring? I'm thinking about moving mine to the back, just for predictability.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin_Thomas; 06-19-2008 at 09:59 PM..
Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 PM

Congrats on the smallie - warmwater is addicting, espeacially when the location is that convenient! BTW, that "special popper" wouldn't happen to have some unique about the eyes would it? Just curious from a conversation we had about popper construction is all...
Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 AM

I don't think it was the eyes. I had a great time. I've been reluctant to get out because the snakes are pretty bad right here. Everytime I've went wade fishing I've ran into water snakes. I don't mind dealing with them when I'm on my feet, but the thought of one climbing aboard freaks me out a bit. I know I'm a worry wart. Ironically last night was the first time I haven't seen one. Go figure.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Kevin,

Way to go! It's fun isn't it? When our new yaks come in I'll float and help shuttle.

Waterborn,

I started using the solid plastic doll eyes on my poppers. I like the Puglisi better than the cheaper ones we sell because the stem is smaller. How did your's work out?

Byron
Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 PM

Congrats Kevin. Beware, Smallies can be addictive!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:49 PM

Anchoring the yak is different but with my canoe I anchor from back with an old window weight. Also I have found the best way to keep them straight is tie a length of clotheline cord about 4 or 5 ft long to a trace chain piece about 18 in. long and let it drag all the time. It seldom hangs up where we fish but you have to experiment but it helps to A) Slow you down and B) keep the whole thing straight as you cast and float.