Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Default Lynn Camp

Well, after reading all the good things about Lynn Camp, I've decided that I have to go in August if they are going to close it in Spetember. What's the best way to get there? It looked like parking at the end of the road at Treemont would be the easiest, but I'm not certain, sO I thought I would seek advice.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:03 PM

Drive until the road ends up the middle prong of the little river. Park in the dirt lot at the trailhead. After you walk across the bridge, lynn camp prong is the stream that follows the middle prong trail to the left. The cascade is about 1/2 mile up the trail. Start fishing once you past the cascade and the stream finally comes back next to the trail. Like on all streams though, the fishing will get better the higher up you go. Panther creek trail splits off to the left 2.3 miles up from the start.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:16 PM

Assasin,

Thanks for the info. I hope I can do the place justice and catch a nice one.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Your welcome. There should still be plenty of trout left from the fishout. Not many fish were taken out in relation to how many are in there.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutAssassin View Post
Drive until the road ends up the middle prong of the little river. Park in the dirt lot at the trailhead. After you walk across the bridge, lynn camp prong is the stream that follows the middle prong trail to the left. The cascade is about 1/2 mile up the trail. Start fishing once you past the cascade and the stream finally comes back next to the trail. Like on all streams though, the fishing will get better the higher up you go. Panther creek trail splits off to the left 2.3 miles up from the start.
Assasin,

Is it possible to make this a day hike? I was thinking of starting just past the Cascades just after day break and then hiking back down after lunch, or is this not possible? Also, is there still no limit on the middle prong past teh Cascades on Rainbows?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Yes, if you slowly and methodically fish the stream starting at day break you can spend the entire day up there. I dont know what pace you fish at so i cant really tell you how far you will get before having to hike back at lunchtime though. You can no longer keep any size rainbow in the stream. That has already ended. The original size and limit rules have been put back into place. In case you were wondering what the cascade looked like, you cant miss it. It is about 70 or so feet of water tumbling down a slanted sheet of rock.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:49 PM

Thanks again for the info I've never hiked up that far! I'm still really new to this. I will plan on hiking up to the cascades at dawn and coming back down around lunchtime.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM

Any one on this board is welcome to join me. I'll be parked up at the end of the road at Treemont just after dawn. I drive a gray Toyota Corrolla for y long trips these days.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:21 PM

Blue,
here's a photo of my son standing on the trail with the Lynn Camp cascades in the background.
You can't miss them for sure.

Here's one of my son (thinks he's a chick magnet - teenagers, good grief ) fishing up on Lynn Camp. This is what the water's going to look like. It's a very pretty stream.

Both of these were taken when we were up there in March. There's a lot more leaves on the trees now.

Lynn Camp is one of my favorite streams.

If you have more than one day there, another stream that is very pretty is Porter Creek above the Greenbriar Picnic Area. (the guys at LRO can point out on a map where it is). It's a little bit of a drive from Townsend (and you have to go through part of Gatlinburg to get there). If you're over in Gatlinburg for anything, a 20 minute drive out of Gatlinburg up 331 (or is it 321), anyway it's the big intersection in G'burg is worth it. The picnic area is pretty for the family, the stream through the picnic area is beatuiful, plenty of rocks for the family to go rock hopping while you spend a little time up on Porter's creek.

Here's what the water there looks like. It has some of the nicest pocket waters around.

Hope you have a great trip.

Jeff
Old 06-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I can use all the help I can get. I've never been one to figure things out on my own "In the counsel of many, there is great wisdom." Those are some cool pictures you took up there. I think I remember fishing with my father almost as much as my arguments with him!