Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Thunderhead Prong, 6-20

On Friday, my uncle and I headed our way up Thunderhead Prong to give that a shot. I have never been up there before, though trips on nearby Lynn Camp Prong had given me hope that this sister stream could provide the same results. After following the manway for a short while, we got in at the second water crossing. The water was extremely low and the word of the day was, say it with me, stealth! Stealth and presentation were definitely the most important factors of the day in catching fish.

I started out with a stimulator and managed a couple fish when I kept low and out of sight. Conditions like this make a fisherman hone their skills and really think about how the fish behave and see under water. The fish weren't consistently hitting the fly, but I managed to get a strike every few holes as long as I stayed invisible to the fish.

Things got interesting when my uncle, Shawn, almost stepped on this fellow when we were rock hopping around a fallen tree.

I must confess that he held his composure pretty well and I was impressed, he stayed pretty calm and gave plenty of space. Shawn, on the other hand, ran away screaming (had to take a jab!).

The fishing never really heated up the way that I had hoped, though. The river was absolutely gorgeous even though it was low and I can't help but wonder what the effects of last year's drought plus the low water this year had on this stream.

On our way back we decided to hit up the lower portion of Lynn Camp for a little bit. I decided that I would tie on a SMBSH dropper since there are some deep pools and runs in that section. Immediately I began getting strikes and landing fish on the dropper. At one pool I caught 3 fish, all on the dropper. It seemed that I had hit on something as the fish were taking the blackbird in a consistent, although not furious, manner. In a short 45 minutes on Lynn Camp I brought 7 fish to hand and was very pleased with the way my fishing went as I really tried to stay out of sight and stealthy (like a ninja). On the way out we saw this fella up the bank at the parking area. Never saw one before and this was a treat to see and they are magnificent creatures.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM

You mean invisible, not invincible. Haha if only we were invincible. That sure is a beautiful rainbow.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Showed off my great edumacation there. You would think a college degree would mean something but apparently not.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:10 PM

Sorry I'm a grammar nazi. I'm in my final year of Advanced Placement English as a senior, and if I pass the End Of Course for A.P. English IV I get to skip my English class Freshman year in college. I really need to make a trip up to the Smokies, I've been to Gatlinburg once and I saw trout jumping everywhere even though it was snowing in April (last year). I need to learn to fly cast before I head up there because I'm positive I won't do any good on a spin rod.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM

I fished Treemont at the end of the road late on Friday. Fishing was OK, but the bear in your last picture and I had a close encounter as he crossed the stream no more than 20 ft upstream from me as I was changing flies. He never even looked at me as he crossed the stream and made his way up the hill. Yeah, I was scared at first, but it was cool, once he was out of sight. Especially due to the fact that he did not try to eat me.LOL
Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Craig,

Caught some fish and you got to see a bear and a great snake? Sounds like an awesome day despite the low water. I should have tried the SMBBSH myself this past weekend. I'll keep you posted, b/c my wife is going to be out of town for about two weeks pretty soon. Home alone for 2 weeks...what will I be doing to pass the time? I might just have to fish a day or two. Maybe it would work out for us to go chase some brookies.

Matt
Old 06-24-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scflyfisher View Post
Craig,

Caught some fish and you got to see a bear and a great snake? Sounds like an awesome day despite the low water. I should have tried the SMBBSH myself this past weekend. I'll keep you posted, b/c my wife is going to be out of town for about two weeks pretty soon. Home alone for 2 weeks...what will I be doing to pass the time? I might just have to fish a day or two. Maybe it would work out for us to go chase some brookies.

Matt
SMBSH and SMBBSH... What are these? The only one I've figured out was Elk Hair Caddis (EHC). What do you call those types of abbreviations again? I forgot, the shortened version like EHC for Elk Hair Caddis?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Smoky Mountain Blackbird Soft Hackle

Its deadly. Enough said.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scflyfisher View Post
Smoky Mountain Blackbird Soft Hackle

Its deadly. Enough said.
Gotcha, thanks for the info!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:34 PM

We'll definitely try and go sometime soon, just let me know when and we'll set something up.