Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Late May 08 West Virginia fishing trip

My dad, granddad, and most of my family is from West Virginia. My great grandfather took my grandfather fishing on the Cranberry River when he was a kid, and he took my dad, and my dad took me. It's a family tradition that I intend to pass on. On this trip my grandfather, dad, and brother went as well as me.

None of my family fly fishes, so I am the first to go out on a limb and actually learn. They all want to learn, but never did. So on this trip we all used spin rods and did excellent. Our ultimate goal on each trip to the Cranberry is to catch what we call the "Fab 5"- rainbow, brown, brookie, golden, and tiger. None of us got it, but my dad came close, he lacked a brookie and he would have had it.

When we arrived late one afternoon, we only had enough time to set up camp and fish for an hour or two. My brother was the first one to throw a line in, and he caught a fish on the first cast of the day. We knew it was going to be one **** of a trip.

My brother started fishing downstream so I moved into that spot that he caught the first fish out of and I pulled 3 more out from that hole.

*Me holding fish, brother, and grandpa*

*Grandpa holding my fish because I was too high off the water*

And here are just some random shots from the rest of our trip.

*My dad holding his golden*

*My tiger trout*

*The almighty Cranberry River*

*My brother holding his brown*

We didn't catch anything of size so we let them all go unless they were gill hooked and would not survive. If you ever have the chance, the Cranberry River in the Monongahela National Forrest and the other sister rivers are some of the best trout fishing in the country, and easily the top few rivers in the eastern U.S. If you get on Youtube you will find countless videos of fishermen catching average, and even above average fish in the mountains of West Virginia. Let me know what you guys think
Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 PM

Dang, 41 views and no replies? It's all because they weren't caught on a fly rod... So I guess this isn't the right place for me, yet, is there a forum specifically for trout?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:54 AM

Default WV Trip

Good post Worrgamesguy.
Where in WV where you? I grew up in Beckley but did not fish while there, I may take rod on future vists.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:44 AM

That's a beautiful place! Nice fish! I especially like the tiger!! Looks like you had a great trip.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tire guy View Post
Good post Worrgamesguy.
Where in WV where you? I grew up in Beckley but did not fish while there, I may take rod on future vists.
It's just north of Richwood, I believe. It's easily one of the best rivers I've ever fished. The only river I say tops the Cranberry is the Caney Fork here in Tennessee, I grew up fishing the Caney and know it's ways a lot more than I know the Cranberry's. I can't wait to start using my fly rod on both rivers, it's a new experience and I think I'll catch on quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALflygirl View Post
That's a beautiful place! Nice fish! I especially like the tiger!! Looks like you had a great trip.
It was pretty fun. There are so many fly fishing purists that once they read they were not caught on the fly, they won't look any further.

On that note- I PROMISE THERE WILL BE PICTURES SOON TO COME OF MY FIRST TROUT CAUGHT ON THE FLY ROD!!! Don't give up hope just yet!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:12 AM

The Cranberry is on my list of rivers to fish. Apparently there is a section that can only be reached by hiking or biking. Are you familiar with the section I am talking about?

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 06-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmcc View Post
The Cranberry is on my list of rivers to fish. Apparently there is a section that can only be reached by hiking or biking. Are you familiar with the section I am talking about?
Yessir, it's an 18 mile trail. What we usually do when we start out early (just before dark, nothing can be accomplished before dark because it's too dangerous) is we drive to the upper campground, and bike our way down the mountain to the lower campground where camp is. You will definitely feel the exhaustion the next day, but it is well worth it. Not this trip, but the last, my dad caught a record in my family- a 20" rainbow. Fish of size are rare, but I'd say an average was 10-14".
Old 06-29-2008, 05:29 PM

nice man, looks like ya'll had a great trip. its always nice when the whole family can get out.

...by the way, that last pic with your brother in it, he is holding a brookie, not a brown
Old 06-29-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post
nice man, looks like ya'll had a great trip. its always nice when the whole family can get out.

...by the way, that last pic with your brother in it, he is holding a brookie, not a brown
It was a lot of fun, but it wouldn't stop raining.

And just kidding, I think you may be right.

Last edited by Worrgamesguy; 06-29-2008 at 06:49 PM..
Old 06-29-2008, 07:26 PM

Three generations camping and fishing on a beautiful river and catching those trout is more than my jealous mind can handle. You and your brother are a lucky young men. Your Dad and Grandfather are fortunate. You will never forget this event. Fifty years from now you will cherish these memories. My advice is to go fishing with these guys as often as you can. Keep up the tradition. And, keep sending the photos. You have made my day.

Thanks,

Byron