Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 PM

Oh yes, the Toccoa stays very cool in the summer time. I'd try to stay within 8 miles of the dam to find the coldest water. Yesterday, it was 48 degrees at the dam around 7am. Downstream, my guys would not come out of their waders...heck, it was already up to 50 LOL. Most of the summer will find it around 60-65 near Curtis Swtich once the heat sets in around late July through August. This depends on water release, weather, etc.

Yesterday it fished well. One of my guys in the boat caught a nice 21" rainbow on a beetle. Pretty cool take and in super shallow water. The rest were typical Toccoa trout, 10-12".

If you're going, take terrestrials, sulphurs (14-1, cahills (12-1, and some big meaty dries. Midges and standard fare nymphs on the bottom.

Good Luck
James
Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 PM

James,

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking about going down that way on Saturday. I'm going to camp on Hiwassee and I figure I'll drive down to look at some new water. I don't have a boat so I understand it will be very limited access. I might even go to the upper section around Deep Hole just to scout.

Thanks,
Old 07-03-2008, 11:31 AM

I'd look at the tailwater before going to Deep Hole. Awfully low and hot up that high. Look at Curtis Switch and around Tamen Park near the dam. Plenty of trout and cooooll water
Old 07-06-2008, 11:40 AM

James,

I didn't make it down there this time. I hope to visit some time though. Thanks for your info.