Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to dailey624
Default Yellowstone

My family and I are planning a trip to head to Yellowstone in the month of July. I was wondering if anyone could possibly provide some help on which bodies of water to fish and what flies might be the most useful to use. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 06-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Depends what part of the park you are staying in. Down south around the Tetons, you can fish the Snake river, lots of good places in and north of Moose, look for the boat landings, it gets you close to the water. LOTS of bears in this area though, keep your eyes open.

If staying in West Yellowstone, you have the Madison river, a classic along with the two feeders, the Firehole and Gibbon. All great water. This is all the water I have experiance on in the park. Unbelievable scenery and great fishing.

If you can spare a day or two south of Jackson, Hit the Green River Northeast of Pinedale. Start at Green River Lake and Fish down from there. Fantastic fishing. About 2 hours south of Jackson.

Never fished th9is time of year there, Hit the local fly shops in Jackson, West Yellowstone or Pinedale for local info and flies.

email me if you want specifics on any of the above locations. soccermedic@bellsouth.net
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM

Check the snow melt run off. I think some rivers (maybe the Snake), are late to clear. Also, note that some rivers heat up to make them unfishable sooner (maybe the Firehole). Finally, check opening dates, some rivers open later (maybe the Yellowstone). You can find flyshop and guide websites in that area with this type information. Enjoy your trip.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 AM

Justin, The Forum has a great feature that I think will help you out. Click on the link for "search" up at the top of the screen and enter "Yellowstone" in the search box. It comes back with over 100 threads that contain references to Yellowstone. Some of them are very good discussions. Check it out. It should provide you with lots of good info.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-25-2008, 11:28 AM

Fishing should be best Later in the season, this year. SW Montana and especially the mountains have experienced record snowfall. Peaks as far south As Big Sky still had 7-8 inches of lingering snow as late as two weeks ago.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 AM

I'm sure you've already looked into this but I'll say it anyway. Be sure to bring with you warm clothing. I was there in August a few years ago and wasn't prepared. Nearly froze and was planning on fishing hoppers but the cold weather took care of that. I even found myself in a snowstorm in August. It didn't last long but man I wasn't prepared.

But even that couldn't spoil that trip. What a wonderful place and can't wait to see it again.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:34 PM

My son, Daniel, and I are leaving for West Yellowstone on July 6. We're spending the next 10 days fishing, hiking and sightseeing the Yellowstoen country.

Brookfan, sounds like we'll be there a week or two before you. Too bad we couldn't meet up and fish some.

I will be, for sure, posting pictures and reports on LRO website. Hopefully the day they happen if I can get my laptop out there and hooked up.

Othewise, I'll post when we get home.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2008, 03:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Dailey624, Get yourself a guide. Blue Ribbon Flies out of West Yellowstone Montana can set you up. With your family there, you probably won't have much "fishing time" so making every second count is worth the added cost.

jeffnles1, Have a good time in Yellowstone. I'll be in Montana during that time but on the opposite side of the state in the Glacier National Park area fishing the South Fork of the Flathead River. I look forward to your report and pictures.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:33 PM

Unhappy Yellowstone

I was out in Yellowstone on May 31 - June 6. We actually tried to fish on the Firehole River on June 1. The runoff this year from the snow melt is at historically high levels. We basically had to fish with one foot in the river and one on the bank because the river was so high and swift. All the other rivers were unfishable at this point in time. I would expect that things are probably starting become more normal and that fishing will be good in early July based on what I saw. Yes, my wife outfished me. She caught a nice 9" brown. I was skunked in our two hours of fishing.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 PM

I fished the Kern in California the first week of June and the snowmelt had the river very high and difficult to wade. The Golden Trout Wilderness is awesome but I gotta get back when the water is down.