Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-28-2008, 02:38 PM

Salmonflies should be hatching somewhere nearby during that time frame...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 PM

I just came back from Yellowstone last week. We stayed inside the park for four days. During this time we had the opportunity to fish the Firehole, the Gibbon and the Madison. All three rivers were fishable, with the Madison being the most productive (Gibbon and Firehole join the form the Madison). The Firehole may be too warm to fish by July, because it has lots of thermal features. You should definitely go see this area of the park, though. The road to Old Faithful follows the Firehole, and there are some neat things to see along the way.

Here is a nice brown that my brother caught on a Salmon Fly on the Madison inside the park. We caught a bunch of these during one evening.
[/IMG]

The Lamar, Slough Creek, and Soda Butte Creek (great cutthroat waters) were all unfishable during our stay, but they should be coming down now. You should definitely drive over to the Lamar Valley if you have the chance. It is an amazingly beautiful place. Also, the Yellowstone River opens to fishing on July 15th (I believe). Even if you don't fish it, drive up to Yellowstone Lake and walk across Fishing Bridge. It crosses the Yellowstone River where is flows out of Yellowstone Lake. You will see tons of huge Cutthroats cruising the water under the bridge (however, you're not allowed to fish from this area).

Here is a picture of the Lamar Valley
[/IMG]

Here is the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River....definitely worth your time
[/IMG]

We also spent a week fishing outside the park. During this time, we fished the Henry's Fork, the Madison below Three Dollar Bridge, and the Madison between Hebgen and Quake Lakes. All three areas fished well. The Madison was strictly nymphing, but Salmon Flies should be picking up soon.

Here is a native mountain whitefish that my brother caught on Henry's Fork of the Snake River
[/IMG]

I would highly suggest using a guide. Craig Matthews at Blue Ribbon Flies will be able to give you some great advice. There are several other fly shops in West Yellowstone, and every other town out there, that can provide you with more information.

Have a great trip. You won't want to come home.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to dailey624

I would like to say thanks to everyone that helped and provided me with some info on how to fish in Yellowstone. Our trip was extremely successful and along with the fishing, the bison were everywhere and enjoyable to see. I caught quite a few fish there including a 21" Cutthroat in Trout Lake. The best fishing day though was one day at Cascade Lake where we found a huge Caddis hatch from about 10 to 12. We ended up catching close to 80 fish combined in three people.

Thanks again for all of the help,
Justin
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Justin,
If you have pictures, we'd love to see them. I was out there from 7/6 to 7/15 (see the returned from West Yellowstone thread for a report).

It sure is a special place.

The only lake we fished was Greebe. There was a damsel fly hatch coming off but the wind was TERRIBLE that day. Being from the East, I'm not used to fishing into a 25+ mph head wind where the waves on the lake are white capping. The other shore of the lake where we would not be casting into the wind was far too shallow and marshy to get a decent cast or have a chance of catching fish. We managed on rainbow but were really going after grayling.

Glad you had a good time.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2008, 02:01 PM

Jeff,
Hope you had fun out there too. We fished Grebe and had success, but had to quit when the wind picked up because we couldn't cast. We found that the grayling there were really small, but the rainbows were nice.

I tried to post pictures, but can't figure out how. Is there a special way to do this.

Justin
Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 PM

Jeff,
I finally found out how to post the pictures on here so here are a few that I decided to show.

Very pretty 18"Cutthroat at Trout Lake

12" Grayling at Cascade Lake

17" Whitefish on the Madison

Bison at our campsite Norris Campground

Otter feasting on Cutthroat at Trout Lake

And you can't go to Yellowstone without seeing the Grizzly
Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM

wow, looks like a great trip:
"And you can't go to Yellowstone without seeing the Grizzly"

We didn't see any grizz. We did see a sow blackie with cubs. She was a very large blackie kind of cinnamon color and much larger than most of the bears I've seen in the Smokeys, but definately not a grizzly.

Love the grayling. We were really hoping to catch one when we went to Greebe lake. However, the wind was blowing so hard we couldn't cast. We both had 5wt's and if I tried to cast more than 20 feet, the line was blowing back into a heap and piling up. When I tried to move around the lake a little, the back casts were getting blown forward and there was a lot of shallow water and marsh on that side.

I'm glad you caught some. They are very pretty fish.

That whitefish looks like the twin brother to the one I caught. Mine put up a pretty good fight (equal or better than some of the trout I caught in the 18-19" range).

Nice trip report. Love the otter eating trout photo. Classic!

Jeff
Old 07-23-2008, 03:53 PM

We found Grebe hard to fish too with the strong winds blowing. Cascade was pretty easy to fish even with the wind blowing.
The whitefish do fight really well especially in the tough current of the Madison(I lost a few before I finally landed that one). They aren't very hardy fish either.

Hope your trip was still a blast. We only saw a glimpse of one black bear, but we can say that we saw it. The only big mammal that we lacked seeing was a moose.

Justin