Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Default North River 6/22

Saturday I kayaked down the Hiwassee, thats a whole story in itself. long story short if you want to know how heavy a 10' kayak is full of water I can tell you. after the trip I decide to fish a little. Got a few hits but nothing brought to hand. We got up Sunday and decided against another float trip. I decided to make my way to Tellico Plains and try the North River. I didn't know if the Hiwassee had dido "spelling?" so I deciced to use a pair of water sandals instead of my felt sandals. Made things a little more interesting to say the least. Start above the North river group camp caught 7 nice rainbows in about an hour. Parachute Adams with a bhpt dropper. Decided to head up to the higher elev. for Brookies.
I don't know the name to the stream, but what great Brookie water. Started catching right off. Then I came to a great looking pool and did what I do alot and tripped and spooked the fish, then tangled my leader up so bad that I had to tie on a new leader. Got set up again and decided to flip the fly in the pool just to see what happened. I proceed to catch 5 nice Brooke trout from the same pool on the bhpt. Never seen anything like it, the fish would spook as i brought one, then I would flip the fly back in and catch another one. the smallest one was @ 6" and the largest was pushing 10". Good size fish for the size of water, do they stock Brookies? I was told that they didn't that far up.
Sorry no pictures, I didn't take the camera because of the kayak trip, which was a good thing, because my buddies call be flipper now.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only clumsy one
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 PM

You should get a waterproof digital camera. It's well worth the money and should last you a long time. I need to get back to the Smokies. I've only been twice and I have no clue how to fish that water. The first trip I took I lost about 20 flies in the trees. I fish the Caney and I can cast 50-65 feet on any given throw. The close treeline in the mountains is something that I will have to learn how to deal with in the years to come.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:14 AM

Roll casting and flip cast and stealth are the three main skills needed. Stealth is sometimes a problem for me (: I don't have the bow and arrow cast all the way figured out yet. short side arm cast work well for me to get under some trees.