Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM

Default Road Prong 6/22

I want to thank the board members for info on Road Prong and making my flyout to the Smokies successful. In spite of a late morning start fished from 10-3:00 pm on Road Prong landing over a dozen brookies up to 8" while missing many (I'm no expert). Yellow PA's and neversink caddis yellow continued to be the ticket. My question is what kind of access to Road Prong (if any)is there beyond the Chimney Tops trail? Boulder hopping up from the bridge I could not see any entry points thru the rhodedendran and didn't have time to hike more. What is up the trail?
Appreciate it,
KimB
Old 06-24-2008, 05:09 PM

Default Access to Road Prong

Glad you had a good day on RP! There are five bridges on the Road Prong. The first two are near the parking area and assist you to cross Walker Camp Prong and then immediately afterward, Road Prong for the first time. The trail you are on is Chimney's Trail. You walk up the trail steeply until you get to bridge three. The trail climbs again and you will cross the creek again at brdige four. This is where many anglers begin to fish. As you fish up stream about 1/2 to 1 mile you will begin to see the Road Prong Trail on your right through the Rhododendron. After about another 1/2 mile you will see bridge five. The trail crosses from the right to the left. This used to be a wet crossing. It is called Standing Stone by locals. From this point the trail climbs above the creek until eventually it crosses again wet. At that point the creek is too small to produce trout.

Jeff
Old 06-25-2008, 04:01 PM

Thanks alot Jeff. I take it that there are no real entry points to the stream after bridge#4 until 1/2 to 1 mile upstream?
Kim
Old 06-25-2008, 04:23 PM

KimB,

That's pretty much it. If you continue up the Chimney Tops Trail beyond Bridge #4 a short ways, you will run across the Road Prong Trail taking off to the left. You will be able to see from there where the trail comes close enough to the stream to actually jump in. This will be somewhere around 100 yards or so below the waterfalls. Or you can continue up RPT to Bridge #5. I have fished just a bit above this last bridge but not very far since I started both trips to RP at Bridge #4 and was somewhat time constrained both times.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 06-27-2008, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the detail Charlie. Good info. Good luck fishing (hopefully the coming rain will help).
Kim