Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 06-26-2008, 11:48 PM

Default Newest ties - hairy weenie

I was playing around with different materials tonight. These are not very pretty yet (I'll work on pretty if they work) but they sure do look like something a bluegill would eat.

edit - Sorry, it was late when I posted. The materials are as follows:
Twist of lead wire to the underside of the hook shank (hopefully to balance it out under water, you could use lead free if you wish I'm sure.)

Hackle (I tried hen on some and rooster on others, I like the soft hen hackle look better, not sure if the fish will care one way or the other, I'll have to let them decide)

Rubber "leg" off of a Kush Ball.

On some, I palmered the hackle from hook eye back to the bend and then tied the leg over the hackle (I kind of like the way those look better) and on some I tied the leg on the hook and palmered the hackle over it from bend to eye. I think the first method looks more like something with a lot of legs.

My segments are kind of sloppy but that was more a factor of tying late at night when I was tired. They should be more even.

If these work, they're VERY easy to tie. and those Kush Ball things are cheap and have hundreds of fly bodies per ball.

For lack of a better name, I'm calling them hairy weenies. Mainly because I had just tied a bunch of green weenies and these are kind of the same idea.

Introducing the hairy weenie.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffnles1; 06-27-2008 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: include materials list
Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 PM

I'm early in my fly tieing days as well. I think those will catch fish, but I prefer to stick to natural materials. I feel like I'm cheating if I use anything unatural but the hook. I know it sounds silly, but that's how I feel right now. Having said that, it does sound silly.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 PM

Default Hairy Weenies

Cool lookin flies! Maybe one day i'll try my hand at tying flies. You can use just about anything to fool a fish i bet. Good luck with 'em.
Mark <::><
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 PM

Well fellas, they work. I caught 4 bluegill and a bass in about 45 minutes this evening.

Blue, I understand where you're coming from. This started as just a silly experiment to see if those wiggly things could be tied to a hook and make a fly.

One thing to consier is when using a popper, unless you use natural cork (a real pain) the materials are not natural.

I do admire your conviction. There's not a single thing wrong with how you're approaching it.

Should you ever decide to use a non-natural material, these flies seem to work. The wiggly legs from a koosh ball seem to be a good thing, or at least the bluegill and bass here in Kentucky think so.

Blue, keep at it. I've only been tying for about 8 months now and it's a LOT of fun. Especially when you start experimenting and tying flies that are not a specific pattern from a book and just get creative to see what you can make that looks like something a fish might think is food.

There's nothing quite like catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpopper View Post
... You can use just about anything to fool a fish i bet....

One would think....unless you've ever had one of those days when "the fish just weren't biting..."....then again, my grandfather used to tell a story about catching a 10 pound Bass using a bar of Ivory soap....I think the key phrase there is ..."tell a story."
Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the encouragement. I love tying flies. I have a decent materials kit, and lucked into getting a nice storage box off of this board. I tried some that I tied today, but didn't get any action on them. I still have to integrate more colors into some patters.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Blue,
Don't blame the flies yet. Sometimes the fish just are not biting.

Colors help sometime and others it's really hard to beat a palin old fashioned grey Adams or a black or olive woolie bugger.

For bass, I've found a white woolie bugger with a little red hackle around the head (hook eye end) is good, especially when they're chasing minnows.

Bluegill seem to like green, red, orange, heck, bluegill will hit just about anything that looks like a bug when they're biting and they will swim away from the same fly on days when they're not biting.

Trout, my "go to" fly is the Adams. I tie variants of them (some in yellow for the smokies) and some with more brown than gray for some of the streams around here in Kentucky (those are bluegill and some tailwaters).

Griffith's gnats are easy to tie and in size 18 and 20 are deadly on the tailwaters. They're just grizzly hackle palmered over peacock hurl. They're a quick and effective fly to tie.

On my dries, I rarely tie in wings (unless it's a parachute fly and then the post more or less is a wing). The fish don't seem to care one bit that I left that step off.

If you ever decide to use some man made materials, I would recommend some Krystal Flash / flashbou and some tinsel. That little sparkle does add something to the fish attracting qualities of the buggers, streamers and nymphs.

Also, I don't always follow the instructions in the books. I frequently vary ingredients but keep the overall shape of the fly.

Tying is fun and it's a lot about experimentation. Sometimes, it's a lot of fun to just go crazy and try really different stuff. That was what I was doing with the "Hairy Weenie".

The name came because I had just tied a half dozen or so green weenies and noticed a kush ball among my son's stuff and snipped one of the legs off, tied on some hackle and laid it over and thought "gee, that looks fishy". Because I had been tying weenies, I called it the Hairy Weenie. Of curse, I'm having a little fun with the name too

Keep it up, it's a lot of fun and when you catch fish with something you tied it's a really good feeling.

Jeff
Old 06-29-2008, 06:24 AM

hey Jeff.....looks like you are going national with this craze......

http://www.wvangler.com/

go under new message board, then fly tying then under "Good Grief!"

bob
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 AM

The trout below Center Hill were hitting the bright colors yesterday and I don't really have any bright colors to applyto the body, so I'll have to pick some up. I do have some tinsel and may have to use it. I do love tying. It helps pass the time and I can tie 6 flies for a $1.50 vs buying them for $12 at the store. My wife admits that my flies do indeed look like bugs, so if it will fool her, it will fool a trout.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyetrouter View Post
hey Jeff.....looks like you are going national with this craze......

http://www.wvangler.com/

go under new message board, then fly tying then under "Good Grief!"

bob
Wow, I'm flattered. The hairy weenie made it to West VA.

They do seem to work and I have absolutely no interest in "marketing" the fly. I hope others tie it and perfect it. It would be a hoot to go into a fly shop somewhere and see "Hairy Weenies" in the bin.

Gotta love the weenies.

Jeff