Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-29-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Brookie again

I caught a brook trout the first of May, thanks to Don Winn. Unfortunately the next day a river dance put my camera in the water and the pictures were mostly ruined. I now have a new digital camera that is supposedly shock proof and semi-water proof.

Friday I returned to the same place Don told me about and caught brook and rainbow. One of the brookies was really nice and I got pictures. The picture with my rod in there to show size, I didn't get. It is hard to be digitally challenged... When I get home I will attempt to post the pic. Or erase it, whichever happens first. There is probably a way to post from this laptop but I don't have a clue. I do remember that the camera box had cords in it besides the charger so I'll start with them.

It was such fun catching brook trout. It's like catching a piece of history. Some tourists stopped by with their kids as I was coming out of the water. They asked what I caught and I showed them the pictures. I told them that was the only native trout in the Smoky Mts. but I'm not sure they were too impressed.

Yesterday we went out late and fished the Little River below Elkmont. Got some rainbow and things were starting to get interesting when the storm hit. It came up fast and we headed for the truck thinking we would get drenched. But it was the wind that was the problem. About a mile down the road, two limbs were blocking my lane. Oncoming cars were nice enough to flash their lights so I knew to slow down. That was the worst wind storm I've been in on the mountain. I would hate to be fishing and have one of those limbs come down on my head!

It rained 3 more times in Townsend during the night so I am wondering what the streams will be like today.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 AM

Barbara
Can't wait to see your photos. Just curious, what camera did you buy?

Rachel
Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Barbara,

Congrats on your cartch and just so you know; I'm impressed! I haven't caught a Brookie yet! I just started a few months ago. Glad to see that women are actually interested in the sport. Maybe you can talk to my wife?! I've even offered to take the fish off the line, but no dice!
Old 06-29-2008, 01:40 PM

Congratulations on the second brookie...I have a hard time coordinating the picture and the fish myself - on our next trip next week, I hope to master the underwater shot.

The thing to keep in mind with the brookies is that they are a bit different from the ubiquitous rainbows; when I started a few years ago, it was up in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, which is almost exclusively a brook trout fishery. When I started fishing the Smokies, I looked to the same sort of streams, and the same areas on the streams...so, I tend to catch a lot of brookies, more than any other species. I have also caught a fair amount of small brown trout - they like the same sort of water, while of the three species, I've caught rainbows the least. The brookies (and I guess the browns) don't like the really heavy water....they hang out in the "seams", where the fast water meets the slower water, while the rainbows like the fast stuff. Since I started on brookies, that tends to be my target. It will be interesting when Lynn Camp opens up several years from now - it might fish differently from how it does now.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 PM

Default camera

Rachel,

There was an interesting discussion on this board several months ago about cameras. You might want to go back and read it if you are in the market.

I got a Stylus 790 by Olympus, 7.1 megapixel (whatever that is) and supposedly it is shock and waterproof. Now by waterproof I think they mean I can drop it in the Little River, grap it quick, dry it off and it will be fine. I am not sure it would be ok for underwater pictures.

If you will wait, I can almost guarantee I will do a "river dance" the next trip or two, then I'll let you know if it's really waterproof!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:05 PM

Default women fly fishing

BlueRaiderFan,

I went on my first "real" fishing/camping trip when I was nine. Up til then, I had practiced in farm ponds. My father, a very brave man, took a nine year old and a seven year old to Cumberland Lake, Ky. We had an army surplus pup tent, a homemade boat Dad built himself, and a Johnson 5 hp outboard. I still remember crossing the lake, it looked like the Atlantic Ocean to me.

I learned to fly fish for bass and bluegill the next summer. But didn't try trout until just a few years ago. I have met a few women who fly fish. I know they are out there, I just don't seem to run into them fishing.

My advice to you guys with daughters, take them fishing. If they like it, take them every chance you get. They will grow up so fast and be working and too busy to fish with you. My best memories from childhood are those fishing trips with my Dad and brother.

I can't help you with your wife. My Mom didn't like to fish. When she and Dad were newly married, they went fishing on Center Hill Lake. Dad hooked a big something and couldn't land it. It got dark and Mother got scared. She told him to just cut the line. He told her he would stay all night if necessary but he'd never cut the line. When he finally landed it, it wasn't the record bass he was hoping for, but a big channel catfish. Mom was so mad she didn't go fishing with him again for years.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Rachel,

There was an interesting discussion on this board several months ago about cameras. You might want to go back and read it if you are in the market.

I got a Stylus 790 by Olympus, 7.1 megapixel (whatever that is) and supposedly it is shock and waterproof. Now by waterproof I think they mean I can drop it in the Little River, grap it quick, dry it off and it will be fine. I am not sure it would be ok for underwater pictures.

If you will wait, I can almost guarantee I will do a "river dance" the next trip or two, then I'll let you know if it's really waterproof!
Barbara,
I have that same camera and I've taken under water photos with it. As long as you don't go deeper than 10' it should be fine. My underwater photos have been limited to sticking my arm under water and snapping a photo. If you go to the "scene" mode, there are some settings for under water photos.

Mainly, I bought it for the same reason you did. If I drop it in the creek, there's a fighting chance the camera and my photos will be OK. I also bought a water resistand cell phone so when I take a dunk or drop the thing there's a chance it may still work.

Welcome to the board.

Jeff
Old 06-29-2008, 10:08 PM

Default Waterproof

After dunking a camera earlier this year, I bought an Olympus Stylus 850 SW that is reportedly shock (up to 5 feet) and waterproof. Haven't tried underwater yet but I finally have no fear of getting my camera wet. Takes a load of worries off.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 06-29-2008, 10:36 PM

Default camera

The other thing I like about this camera is the weight, or lack thereof. It is so light and small, fits right in my vest pocket. I tend to carry too much stuff and I didn't want anything else heavy to tote around.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
BlueRaiderFan,

I went on my first "real" fishing/camping trip when I was nine. Up til then, I had practiced in farm ponds. My father, a very brave man, took a nine year old and a seven year old to Cumberland Lake, Ky. We had an army surplus pup tent, a homemade boat Dad built himself, and a Johnson 5 hp outboard. I still remember crossing the lake, it looked like the Atlantic Ocean to me.

I learned to fly fish for bass and bluegill the next summer. But didn't try trout until just a few years ago. I have met a few women who fly fish. I know they are out there, I just don't seem to run into them fishing.

My advice to you guys with daughters, take them fishing. If they like it, take them every chance you get. They will grow up so fast and be working and too busy to fish with you. My best memories from childhood are those fishing trips with my Dad and brother.

I can't help you with your wife. My Mom didn't like to fish. When she and Dad were newly married, they went fishing on Center Hill Lake. Dad hooked a big something and couldn't land it. It got dark and Mother got scared. She told him to just cut the line. He told her he would stay all night if necessary but he'd never cut the line. When he finally landed it, it wasn't the record bass he was hoping for, but a big channel catfish. Mom was so mad she didn't go fishing with him again for years.

Man, sounds like you have a LOT more experience than I do! I do plan on trying to catch a few bluegill soon. Not really certian what they'll hit, but from what I've read they hit just about anything. It's so nice to hear that you had those experiences with your father. A home made boat would be sweet! I love it when people rig something up for pennies on the dollar vs buying.