Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-14-2008, 04:27 PM

There is a little cottage, not far up Jake's Creek from the parking area, that is right on the stream. I looked at it for a long time, wondering about the people who were lucky enough to spend time in that little house, with a trout stream gurgling literally a few feet from the house. That is what I wish for my retirement but looks like my goldfish pond is as close as I will get.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwinn View Post
Barbara,

Great pictures! That is a really nice brookie. The brown is nice as well. I am sure you caught some rainbows too which means you may have competed your first slam. Way to go!
Don,

I never got the rainbow picture to post but there is a photobucket link to it, if you are interested, right above one of the pictures, the brown, I think. I did get the "grand slam" but not in one day. Couldn't get the brown until later. I am not complaining.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

barbara, that's probably the avent cabin if it is about 1/4 mile past the last parking area up jake's creek....the last house in elkmont up jake's creek is the higdon place...higdon was the caretaker of elkmont...the avent cabin is neat
Old 07-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Sam,

My memory may betray me. It was the last house I remember seeing that was right on the stream and I mean right on it. Practically over the water. It looked small. Still looked in fair condition, on the far side of the stream from the trail. I did not go in. Looked small for a permanent residence. If it is Avent, how much further upstream is Higdon?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

can't be avent then.....avent is above higdon by 3/4 mile or so...those were summer cabins....i'll look next time...the avent cabion is across the creek about .7 mile up from trailhead...but it is about 200 feet away from the creek...
Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Slam

Barbara,

I looked at the rainbow - nice fish. You did have a good trip! I am not sure about the "offical rules" on a grand slam. I don't know if you have to do it in one day. I made my own rule and it is all three on a trip. We may have to get the grand slam rules committee to give us an offical ruling. But for right now - congratulations on an outstanding grand slam!

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:15 PM

Don,

Thank you. I like your rule best.

Barbara
Old 07-17-2008, 08:08 PM

Wink

Unfortunately for you all, the RULE IS: Brown, Brook and Rainbow in the same day on the same stream. We need to be serious about this or anyone out there can claim a slam. It really bothers me when people don't stick to the rules.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 AM

Barbara,
Nice Brookie! Looks like you did get a slam after all. I'm impressed with the pics from that 790. I got an 850 SW a while back and have used it a few times, the first "test" was to take this underwater release shot of a buddie's Smallmouth Bass:
Old 07-18-2008, 09:52 AM

Talking Rules?

Please don't tell me there are official rules for fishing statistics. Are there?

Hans is probably right about the "official" Smoky Slam being confined to one day. But I think there are a few additional considerations if you look at Golf and Tennis. If you win all of the majors events in a year you have captured a Grand Slam, but even if you win each event in non-contiguous years you get credit for a Career Grand Slam.

I think we could apply those same rules here. Once you have caught one of each species it could be considered a Career Smokies Grand Slam. If you manage it in the same year, you could be said to have captured a Grand Slam (or maybe just a Yearly Grand Slam). If managed during a trip, it could be the Trip Slam...etc...

Unfortunately if we are using the baseball analogy, then its quite a bit stricter, in fact, I think you would need to catch all three from the same stream (at the same time-with one cast?). Afterall, you can't go to two separate ball parks and drive in 4 runs with multiple swings and still get credit for a Grand Slam, even if you do it in the same day....

Who makes these rules up anyway.....?

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."