Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-29-2008, 06:52 PM

Default Books

Any good books on what is hatching and when on the various rivers and in the Smokies?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:28 PM

No need for a book with regards to the tailwaters.

Few sulfurs left on the Clinch, then midges for the rest of the summer.

Holston, caddis are done and midges are all that are to remain.

South Holston, sulfurs will trickle on for a few more weeks then midges.

It would be the shortest book in the world for hatches on the taliwaters.

In the Mtns everything is just about done, maybe a few cahills but fish attractor dries and you will be fine.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:55 PM

Heres some helpful links that have hatch charts for the smokies and some tailwaters. This one has hatch charts along with insect pictures http://www.flyfishingsmokymountains.com/hatch.html Heres another one for the Smokies http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/smoky%20mountain%20hatch%20charts.htm Heres some for tailwaters http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com...h%20charts.htm .

Last edited by TroutAssassin; 06-29-2008 at 10:12 PM..
Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutAssassin View Post
Heres some helpful links that have hatch charts for the smokies and some tailwaters. This one has hatch charts along with insect pictures http://www.flyfishingsmokymountains.com/hatch.html Heres another one for the Smokies http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com...h%20charts.htm Heres some for tailwaters http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com...h%20charts.htm .

Wow, excellent links! THnaks for the info guys!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Seriously, forget the books and hatch charts. You will spend more time chasing your tail then focusing on serious fish catching.

Clinch from now until next April fish a size 18 Copper Bead Head PT, a size 18 midge pupa of some description and forget about everything else. It is not needed and NOTHING will work better then the two above day in and day out.

Holston fish nothing but either a size 16 Copper Bead PT or an 18 Copper Bead PT for the entire year except in April or May when you can fish a few dry caddis. Every now and then those fish are real suckers for a #18 Griffiths Gnat.

On the park I always kept it simple. In the winter a #16 CBPT or a #14 CBPT if the water was a little high. Spring and Summer, Parachute Adams or a Thunderhead will work all the time no matter what.

Keep it simple and forget the hatch charts except during Sulfurs on the Clinch and South Holston.

Take the above for what it is worth, but eons of traipsing this area has taught me one thing, Keep it simple stupid. No reason for all the frills, and yes fly selection is that easy no matter what people try to tell you.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 AM

Wolf,

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom I'm going to print that off and use it to fish with. However, I love to tie, so I will probably end up tying every fly on those charts!

Dwayne
Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 AM

The only thing I would add that Sulfurs are a major possibility on South Holston all the way up to late October. I fished it last week of October last year and it was a thick Sulfur hatch.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Wolf,

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom I'm going to print that off and use it to fish with. However, I love to tie, so I will probably end up tying every fly on those charts!

Dwayne
No harm in having a full fly box.

If you want to tie something that can be deadly on the Clinch:

#18 TMC2457
3/32 Black Tungsten Bead
Chartreuse Spanflex wrapped up the body over olive thread
A sparse amber z-lon tail.

It imitates a black caddis puppa, and sometimes works like a charm in August. The black caddis hatch on the Clinch is unbelievable but they don't get on the water until dark which poses a problem because of generation schedules in the summer which 99.999999999999% of the time are full bore by 2:00 PM. So there is no need for a dry to represent the adults.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 PM

Good stuff guys. Thanks. This stuff is like gold! It would have taken me years to figure this out on my own. I wish I had more time to go to some of these places.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 AM

I like to subscribe to the KISS method and I'd agree that a small BHPT will pretty much take fish in all our waters year round in a #16-14, but everytime I go out with my set up, I usually find a situation or two that causes me to make a few adjusments...

The good ol' Clinch River Combo in my opinion was the PT and #18 beadhead olive V-rib combo, still works well enough and for most of the years thats all I fished, my biggest Clinch fish,a 25" brown fell to that combo(at the midge) - but I bet today you will catch more with a #22 bh zebra - this goes for the SOHO as well - everyone forgets or doesn't know about the blackfiles which I think there are more of in these waters - plus a zebra would double as a pattern for the smaller midges too...in the winter (which is when I like to fish the tailwaters, there is the a great midge and blackfly hatch which using the v-rib and zebra combo is great till a hatch comes off and then you you would want a little expansion in you box to have fun with the risers - small olive parachutes and tiny EHC or griffiths if you prefer...would be no fun to sit (well it would be, but frustrating) to sit an watch a pod of risers on midges and blackflies only not to have something to throw out at them, sure you could grease up a midge nymph and float the film and what not, but athat big ol snout slowly poking through on a deliberate surface take on teensy bug I think is one of the coolest opprutunites a tailwater presents that we get to try our hand at, pays to have a little diversity in the box...
The Holston, pretty much a caddis game in the spring - though there are two distinct sizes and colors you'd want to keep on hand - in the morning a small olive about a #20 and afternoon a much larger almost #14 tan...midges like a simple brassie the rest of the time.
Don't forget the winter BWO's on the SOHO - just as important as the Sulphurs ...though I would keep the sulphurs on hand becuause I've fished in on a "warmer" winter sunny day and low and behold, not a blanket hatch, but a few sporatic sulphurs did come of and I managed a couple of fish off a parachute sulpher just to see if it work..
In the park, bare bones can be the ticket - adams, ehc (yellow in the summer time - small and black in the winter) and pt....the only addition is the venerable green weenie for the summer time and SMBBSH for just about any time of the year highsticked...
Start off with the basics and if you choose to expand, go for it - and if you like to tie, have fun with it...tie up that pattern that no one has, cause as pressured as sometimes as these waters get, the fish might want something new you might have for them to look at.