Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-29-2008, 09:47 PM

Default Cataloochee and Cosby report

Saturday I went over to Cataloochee to do some fishing. I arrived at 2:00pm. The water had a little color but the level was low.
I spoke to a fisherman who was waiting on a ride. He said that he had caught some fish and that they were hitting really well. He had been fishing with a nymph. I thanked the man for the info. and made my way to the creek.
I entered the water at the bridge below the camp ground. From there I fished up to the foot bridge that crosses the creek above the camp ground. In this section of water I caught 2 Brookies, 2 Rainbows, and 4 Browns. The Brookies were small 4 to 5 inches. The Rainbows and Browns were all 9 to 10 inches. After I fished this section I went back over to fish below the Plamer Place. In this part of the creek I hooked 1 Brookie that was 8 inches ( My best Brook Trout...) and 3 browns. The Browns were 8 to 9 inches. All of the fish were caught on a Peasant Tail Nymph tied on a #10 hook.
Sunday I went to Cosby Creek after church to do a little fishing. I started at the bridge where you enter the park. I fished up to the point where the horse trail crosses the creek.
I caught 22 fish, all were Rainbows. 3 were 7 inches. 1 of the fish was 9 inches.
My best fish was a large stocker that swam up from the lower part of the creek that is not in the park. This brute was 14 inches with no front fins. I had a good time landing this fish. The fish was hooked in the third hole above the bridge. The rest of the fish were small 4 to 5 inches.
All of these fish were caught on a green body fly with a Black Plamered hackel. Hook size is a #8 and the fly has some weight on it.
I feel blessed that The Good Lord gives me the time to enjoy the things he has created for everyone on this earth. I always make time to thank him for this...
May God Bless You...

Bill
Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 PM

Nice report. Both areas are under appreciated and both are really fun to fish.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 PM

Good report and good fishing. I am headed to Cataloochee in July, hoping the weather isn't too hot. I love to fish there. Did you see any elk?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:59 PM

Barbara
I did not see any elk on this trip. I went over in early may to fish with some friends. Before we went fishing we went to look for the elk. Seen 4 bulls next to the ranger station. Their horns had just started to grow. We went all the way to the end of the road. We seen around 20 to 25 elk all together. Mostly cows and young elk. I really enjoy watching the elk.

Bill
Old 06-30-2008, 12:04 AM

Nice report...good to hear that there were brookies that low on Cataloochee, and apparently coexisting with the rainbows and browns. As far as Cosby is concerned, I've had a couple of those big dumb stockers near the boundary, too. The thing I noticed was no fight in them, compared to the wild fish.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 AM

Nice report and trip there Bill. I'm glad that you were able to have a couple of good outtings. I know the water situation must be getting rough again and I've been praying each day for rains for the entire Southeast, we're all in need. We got some much needed t-storms yesterday with the front pushing through and hope for some more today. Temps are going to be a little more tolerable this week so thankful for that also, anyhow enjoyed your report and may the Lord bless you also.--Bran