Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-30-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Starting a new fly box

Next week my new wife and I are moving into our new home. This is good news but does have a drawback. We currently live a 5 min. drive from a few Watauga access areas. Our new place is in Gray, TN. This will make it more difficult to fish coldwater after work during the week. My new location puts me very close to the Holston before it flows through Kingsport and see myself getting more opportunities at some warmwater.

So I am interested in putting together a new fly box separate from my trout flies. So I have a couple of questions concering my new situation. First, other than my obvious crossover flies, what are some good patterns that are must haves for smallmouth? and, what are some good access points to my new local waters?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACinEastTN View Post
Next week my new wife and I are moving into our new home. This is good news but does have a drawback. We currently live a 5 min. drive from a few Watauga access areas. Our new place is in Gray, TN. This will make it more difficult to fish coldwater after work during the week. My new location puts me very close to the Holston before it flows through Kingsport and see myself getting more opportunities at some warmwater.

So I am interested in putting together a new fly box separate from my trout flies. So I have a couple of questions concering my new situation. First, other than my obvious crossover flies, what are some good patterns that are must haves for smallmouth? and, what are some good access points to my new local waters?
I know nothing about the Holston up there, but having fished for smallmouth my entire life I have a few words of wisdom. Keep it simple.

Get a couple of small poppers, big enough the bluegill won't be a pain, but not giant largemouth poppers And get some white zuddlers or white zonkers. That is it. If you must, and I mean must have something else, get some olive zuddlers.

Stay away from Bucktail streamers, marabou streamers, and stick with flies tied with rabbit fur. They are more durable and nothing moves as naturally as a bunny strip. Bucktail is the worst and is rigid in the water, it will work of course, but why use it if something else works better.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:36 PM

Poppers! Especially chartreuse ones! Love to watch them smash a popper!