Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 PM

Default Rookie Question

As I was chest deep in the Caney Fork the other day, I found out quickly that my dries were now wet because my cool Orvis float box doesn't seal. What is the best way to keep dry flies dry when you are that deep? Or do you just not go that deep or what? Do I need a better box for my dries and just leave my nymphs, pupas and midges in my Orvis box?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 PM

Some boxes are waterproof. I've never shelled out enough money to buy one (I just can't bring myself to spend $30 on a fly box), but that would be the way to go if you had to have one that was waterproof. My solution has been that I can't remember the last time I stood in water deeper than my waste in a river. I don't trust currents and slippery rocks enough. And another reason is that water that deep on tailwaters is usually doing one of two things 1. being generated (dangerous for sure) or 2. a long deep slow pool which isn't the type of water I like to fish. I'm much more particular to shallow riffles and shallow to moderately deep runs. Requires a lot more casting to fish quicker water but I get a lot of excitement out of seeing my indicator stop suddenly from a fast drift and beginning the fight. The hit and hookup are my favorite aspects of fly fishing. Except maybe when a hooked fish makes a run like a greyhound on a rabbit.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:55 PM

Milligan,

Thanks for the insight. I may get a box just for dries...This hobby is WAY too much fun.

BRF
Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 PM

yeah eventually you'll get to a point where you have to have a box just for dries, and one just for nymphs, and one just for streamers, and one just for warmwater, and one just for terrestrials, and one just for mountains, and one just for tailwaters, and anything else you can use as an excuse to buy/tie more flies. Trust me, I use any I can get. It is a lot of fun, I spend a lot of time with this hobby.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:48 PM

To be honest, going any deeper than waist level is dangerous. We use thigh waders to limit ourselves. Because if you slip, your waders will take on water and the outcome doesn't look too bright. My brother was fishing in his thigh waders, slipped in fast water and his waders caught water and dragged him under. He stayed calm and kicked them off and got out without any harm.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I've started using the Scientific Anglers System boxes. They've got a good water-tight seal and they're very easy to see through for fly selection. Plus, you can set up one side of the insert for dry flies and the other for wets or nymphs, so you've got all bases covered. And you can easily change out the insert with a variety of insert designs that are set up for specific types of flies so that you can easily customize your own setup. Check them out!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 AM

If you use small fly box(es) you can always slip them inside the top of your waders while you are in deeper water. I consider the top of my waders one huge pocket to be used for a water bottle, gloves, a small golf towel, a fly box, or whatever.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:21 PM

MB,

Good point, but that won't give me an excuse to buy a cool new fly box
Old 07-03-2008, 07:43 AM

They ain't cool,ZIPLOCK BAGS, C&F boxes are cool though

Grumpy
Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 AM

C & F boxes ARE cool! I have one for my warmwater box. I also have one of the Scientific Angler boxes that Gerry mentioned. It is a very cool system!