Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-01-2008, 12:18 PM

Default Chattahoochee

Has anyone fished this river around the GA/AL state line. I am in the area for the next month or so and I was wondering if there is anything going on there. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to ZachMatthews
Default Moss

Fan -

I'm in Atlanta and I've been hitting the Hooch pretty heavily for the last few months. The section up above Lake Lanier I can't speak to and it sounds like that's where you're targeting. However, the area down around the city has seen some incredible moss blooms of late. Low water/low generation in Lake Lanier (resulting from last year's drought and the need to rebuild the lake levels) caused sunlight to penetrate very deeply into the river in the early spring. Now the water levels are fluctuating again, which is knocking moss loose.

I have been seeing tons of coontail moss and didymo coming downriver. It has been very difficult to keep a fly wet. We do most of our fishing in boats with deeper running flies, crashing the banks; that has proved almost impossible.

Probably you will want to plan on targeting other water. If you are truly on the GA/SC border, you can hit the Chattooga, which is an excellent river. Check NGTO.org for info about it. If you are more in the north Atlanta/Athens area, Duke's Creek, Water's Creek, and Noontootla Creek, all offer some decent fishing. Worst case scenario you can head up to NC and fish the DH of the Nantahala. I have never fished that myself so I don't know when it opens. There's also the Davidson, one hour NW of Greenville in the Pisgah National Forest. That's the best fishery in the utmost SE region.

Zach

PS Feel free to come around www.itinerantangler.com for Georgia-based questions if you aren't getting a lot of updated info from LRO. But trust what Byron says above what I say.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Fanatic-

This might help. This is a link to Kent Edmunds' site. He's a well-regarded guide who's based in that area. Can't really help much myself.

http://www.flyfishga.com/index.htm

Also, there's a Georgia warmwater board that might have what you're looking for:

http://www.georgiariverfishing.com/

-Milton