Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-11-2008, 06:31 PM

Default Wplp 07/11

At 8:00 this morning, my wife told me today would be a good day for me to go fish - who am I to argue. Quickly threw my gear into my vehicle and took off for the WPLP. Got there about 10:00 a.m. and the water was really up. Fishable but big.

First place I started fishing was on a rock that was about 5-6' off the water with a pretty strong current below. Got a little too close to the edge, feet slipped on a wet patch and I headed down for the water. Managed to get my rod down on top of the rock before I went. Well, my life didn't flash before my eyes as I headed for the river but my new digital camera did. Bye, bye camera. Managed to land on my feet, make my way back to the bank and get back up on the rock to get my rod. Nothing like a little excitement to start the day.

Things were slow to begin with, hooking one every now and then (one of Pete's stimulators with a BHPT dropper). Then around 2:00 things went crazy. The trout got really aggressive and were pounding the nymph. Caught one on the stimulator but the rest on the nymph. Ended up with 11 for the day, most of which came between 2:00 and 4:00, including a 7" brookie. First spec I've caught up in WPLP in quite a while. I had many more trout hitting the flies and then shaking off; one jumped about a foot out of the water before shaking off - way cool. Probably lost nearly as many as I actually caught.

One of the most exciting moments of the day came when I was throwing into a pool in front of a huge rock in the middle of the stream. Water was roaring past on both sides (when I say roaring, I couldn't hear the motorcycles up on the road all day) but there was a section about 4 feet top to bottom and about 6 feet across. Something took hold of the nymph and bent my rod in a major way. It shook off before I could even get it close to the surface but it definitely had my heart pounding for a bit.

Two notable accomplishments for the day - getting better with the nymphs and managed to fish the river even with the water up. Felt pretty good.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-11-2008, 06:48 PM

Charlie
Sounds like a great day except for the falling in part. Don't you wish you could have seen the big boy that bent the rod? Thanks for sharing!

Rachel
Old 07-11-2008, 06:51 PM

Charlie,

I put my camera in a zip lock bag...Not full proof, but it helps. WPLP, is that "West Prong" etc? What does it stand for?

BRF
Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 PM

WPLP is West Prong of the Little Pigeon.

My camera was waterproof but it was in my vest pocket and just flew out when I went off the rock. Ziplock wouldn't helped today.

AFLG, I kept trying for that rod bender but couldn't get another bite. But I know where he is now. I'll be back.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-11-2008, 08:17 PM

nvr2l8- Sounds like a great day!
Were looking forward to more reports of the "bigun"
Old 07-12-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
WPLP is West Prong of the Little Pigeon.

My camera was waterproof but it was in my vest pocket and just flew out when I went off the rock. Ziplock wouldn't helped today.

AFLG, I kept trying for that rod bender but couldn't get another bite. But I know where he is now. I'll be back.

Is that the stretch between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg?
Old 07-12-2008, 05:49 PM

It's up Highway 441, past Sugarlands Visitors Center towards North Carolina. The place where I was fishing was in between the Chimneys Picnic Area and the Chimney Tops Trailhead, about a half mile below the trailhead.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Hey Charlie, I was up there this morning. I didn't see your camera. Sorry about that, I know how it feels.

The WPLP was still rolling this morning. I fished from 8a to 1p and had a hard time keeping a fly floating. I know I should have switched to nymphs, but I didn't and after trying a bunch of dries, finally settled on a #14 Yellow Stimi. I only managed 4 fish and missed about the same. I think the rainbows were still trying to get used to the extra water and were hunkered down on the bottom.

Tomorrow and Monday should be great. It appears that more rain must have fallen in the WPLP drainage than in the LR. The rain did not seem to have as much of an impact there.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-13-2008, 09:01 AM

Next couple of days on WPLP are going to be little rough. Mt. Leconte got almost 1 1/2 inches of rain in the last 24 hours (while nowhere else in the park got any) and it's raining again today. May be weekend before this stream gets fishable again.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-13-2008, 12:59 PM

Crap...I'm coming up Wednesday.