Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I know you were supposed to kill them, seems it would be very troubling for me to do so.
Why?

As far as filleting goes, I almost never fillet a trout I cook them bone in and flake the meat off with a fork when they are done. The skin, tail and head help hold the whole thing together while it is cooking. This can be tough with the little guys, but their bones are soft enough that you can just pick them up and eat'em like a small piece of corn on the cob.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM

The Lynn Camp fish out was a way for the park to reduce the fish population in this stream. The park wanted people to keep the fish and to enjoy the fishing. I kept the fish that I caught.
I know some people who never keep fish in the park. They release every thing they land. That is fine if that is their wish but I feel like some of these fish will die due to stress. So if their going to die why not keep a few to eat (leagle size). I have no problem with some one who keeps fish. I think it helps the population and the over all size of the fish. I have talked to several of the park service and they all tell me that keeping fish in the park is not going to hurt the fishing or the over all population. Keeping fish is one way the park helps to control the fish population. If a person wants to keep fish he or she should not be shunned by other fisherman.
I was fishing on Little River a few years ago when I got the 3rd degree from a fellow fly fisherman about keeping a limit of fish. The way this guy was going on, a person would have thought that I shot his dog or something. He was in a red face rage and screamming. I can not tell you some of the words he used. It was pretty bad talk for a grown man. After he got done I just looked at him with this dumb look on my face. When the shock finally pasted I just smiled at him and told him to have a nice day and I left him in the creek. I did not let this person get to me. I was back in the streams fishing the next day. It is up to the person fishing to make the choice to keep fish or to release them. It is not my place or any other persons right to pass judgement on a person for keeping fish or letting them go.

May God Bless You.. Philippians 4:13

Bill
Old 07-03-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Man_Bill View Post
I did not let this person get to me. I was back in the streams fishing the next day. It is up to the person fishing to make the choice to keep fish or to release them. It is not my place or any other persons right to pass judgement on a person
Bill, Great post on a lot of levels. I highlighted the section that I like the most. Its amazing how opinionated (and self-righteous) people can be without knowing all the facts. As we've discussed on the board in the past, keeping fish (within the regulations) is good for the overall population of fish in the park. Most streams in the park are at or over their carrying capacity. A huge percentage of fish will die each year from starvation. If someone wants to take a few home and eat them, more power to them.

The purpose of the fish-out was to remove as many fish as possible (including the 3-5" ones). Even if someone took the fish home and put them in their garden or fed them to their cat, they were at least put to some good use. We all need to lighten up on the C&R ethic as being the only way to fish. Granted, there are folks who abuse the regulations and they should be chastized (an fined), but those folks in the self-righteous "don't-harm-a-single-fish" group need to realize that pummeling everyone with your opinions isn't going to change another person's mind, it only makes you look foolish...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-03-2008, 05:00 PM

Don't hold back, now, Pete. Tell us what you really think.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Just so you know

I am 38 yrs old I HATE cats I do not drink beer I will not keep a fish less than 5" even where its legal I have been fly fishing since I could walk up the creek In the park I fish till I catch 5 fish 7" or better outside the park I fish till I catch 7 fish 5" or better I wet my hands and be easy as possible with every fish I release I sit down right where I stop fishing and clean my fish in the creek I have a wife and three boys and we all love fried trout I have to go catch my limit 4-5 times for a good fish fry so this fish out was a perfect chance to stock up some are done eat the rest are in the freezer none will be wasted Opening day I wondered how many fish I could catch in a day about 1:00 I realized that I could catch more than I wanted to carry 3-4 miles back to the truck I will remember both trips for a very long time and try if you want you cant rain on my parade sincerly caught 108
Old 07-03-2008, 05:38 PM

Some very good sentiments expressed in the last few replies...these streams are at capacity, and keeping a few for the table can only help them. It's funny - the situation I described from down here is 180 out of phase with the 'no kill' attitude...down here, it's a meat situation...both are extremes to be avoided.

Bill:

You're a better man than I...if someone started screaming like that at me, he would be wearing his flyrod in a very uncomfortable manner.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 PM

No problem catching as many as you could during the fishout...but, you were supposed to keep them all - if you couldn't carry any more, you should have simply stopped fishing. Part of the point of all this was for the park service to be able to log the sizes and numbers, etc.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Default cant please everyone

Both days when I caught what I wanted I did stop the park counted and measured 108 Rainbows I dont see the problem in releasing a few fish if I wanted sardines I would go to the store and buy sardines caught 108
Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 PM

Because those are (or were) the rules...it doesn't matter how you feel about it, that's what it was. Also, even though it was anticipated that this fishout wouldn't put much of a dent in the rainbow populations in Lynn Camp, every fish removed will make the chemical treatment it will get this fall that much more effective...they have to remove ALL of the rainbows - that's why electrofishing isn't being used...it didn't get them all.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 PM

Wow! I had to go back and read my post again, since it looks like I am getting hammered here. All that I was asking is "what does one do with all of these tiny fish?" I really wanted to know if people ate them or simply discarded them. I personally would not have taken part in this fish-out either due to the fact that I would not want to be required to keep 3-5" fish.

I certainly was not judging anyone. The rules state that you can keep fish, so keep fish. No problem for me. I choose not to keep fish most of the time. If I were camping in the park and caught some decent sized fish, I would certainly eat them.