Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 AM

Default More on the stealth bomber

Fished for a few hours yesterday evening. Fishing was slow but caught a few. Tried out a few different colors of the stealth bomber. Chartruese green worked best on the bass and white caught a few gills.
They are becoming one of my favorite flies.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Fished for a few hours yesterday evening. Fishing was slow but caught a few. Tried out a few different colors of the stealth bomber. Chartruese green worked best on the bass and white caught a few gills.
They are becoming one of my favorite flies.

Nice fish Gary! Shoot me an email, I cant find you in my contacts. I finally moved into a house and got my boat in Knoxville. I thought we could plan a fishing trip sometime if you want. Let me know.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 PM

Sure Matt, We'll get together a weekend soon. Did you bring the toon or jon up? or both? Thinking we could do a multi-species float on the FB or lower Holston. I'll chip in for gas on the jon.
I'll be guiding my son this weekend, trying to put him on some smallies or carp, but the next weekend is free right now. I'll send you an email.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Good looking bass Gary, did you catch those on the Little P. If so the water appears to be in good shape even as dry as it has been.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:50 PM

Nope, another local river. The LP is low and choked with the algea bloom right now but is still fishable if you don't mind pulling green slime off your leader and fly constantly.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM

I brought the jon up. I took a week of vacation starting the 14th so I will be planning alot of trips that week and also the weekend before and after. Shoot me an email and let me know.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 PM

Default stealth bomber recipe

If anyone wants to give them a try, here's the recipe/tying instructions for the original.

Tite lines -
Old 07-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Gary dropped off two Stealth Bombers last week for Paula and I to take to Fall Creek Falls. I tied a black one on the 7 Wt rod. We fished green poppers size #8 because bluegill and bass could both be caught on the same fly. We used 5 wt and 6 wt rods all week. Fishing was excellent in the early morning and late evenings until dark. Last night we were catching mainly bass. I told Paula, "Let's try one of Gary's flies. I grabbed the 7 weight which had not been used all week. On the first cast a nice largemouth nailed it. I caught several bass then Paula did the same. We fished the fly until darkness fell. That is a killer fly! I even caught a big bluegill on it last night. We were stripping it fast but let it come to the surface every three strips so it would pop again.

Thanks Gary, I owe you some of my new green poppers.

Byron
Old 07-11-2008, 02:37 PM

Glad they worked. Kent designed a great fly. It is very easy to tie and works on multiple species. Be sure and check out his site. He has some cool patterns in the fly box. He would be a good person to have up this winter for a Saturday morning warm water tying session.

BTW.. Byron, how did the fly hold up? I glued the heck out of it! I had a problem with the first ones I tied, the tail feathers would pull out.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:23 PM

Gary,

It held up great. I don't know how many we caught on it. I probably caught 10 and Paula caught several. I looked at it this morning trying to figure out how to tie it. Then when I saw this thread I went on Kent's website to see how it is done. The fly not only pops on top but pushes a lot of water under the surface. I watched last night as one bass missed it then came back and missed it again. I like the way you shape the foam edges.

Byron