Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-29-2008, 01:45 PM

Default Any good fishing in the Townsend area?

Im vacationing next week and going to stay in a cabin in townsend. I was just wondering if there was any good fishing in that area if so where and what type flies are being used right now?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:00 PM

Yes, there is good fishing in the Townsend area. A lot of it. If you want easy fishing you can go for stockers in Townsend, just be careful not to fish on private property.

What I prefer is to go after the wild trout in the Smokies. The closest place to Townsend will be up above Tremont. Here you can fish Middle Prong, Lynn Camp Prong, Thunderhead Prong, and Sam's Creek. Middle Prong is along the road, the others require a little hiking, but not much. This time of year, it is better to go into the higher elevations where the water is cooler.

As for what is biting, check out the fishing report Byron puts up every day on this website. Also stop in the shop while you are there, not only will the staff help you out and make suggestions on where to go and what to use, there will probably be someone in the shop who has been in the water recently and will make suggestions. (Like the staff.)
Old 06-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinTide4 View Post
Im vacationing next week and going to stay in a cabin in townsend. I was just wondering if there was any good fishing in that area if so where and what type flies are being used right now?
I'll be in that area July 17th if you need guidance (I just learn from this board). As far as in Townsend, I believe there are a few spots before you get into town that are public picnic areas that you can fish from the bank or wade into from. If you are bait casting, use a rooster tail (black usually gets em or yellow). If you are fly fishing, stop in at LRO to get some flies that they reccomend. If you go up by Treemont, go early as the sun is rising and be QUIET! These trout spook easy I was told to go to the end of Treemont and go up a ways past the "Cascades" (I think it's a series of noticable waterfalls...There are lots of waterfalls in the Smokies, so these must be noticable) They say take the road up past the Treemont nature center, park in the gravel lot and go up past the cascades via taking the trail over the bridge. I have caught one Bow right next to the gravel lot, but I don't think that is the norm. I have yet to go more than a couple hundred feet past the bridge, but this time I'm going to go a mile or two. I hear the fishing is good up higher. I hope so after all that hiking! Keep in mind that my information may be innaccurate as I am new to the sport.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:03 PM

Also, there is a campground in Townsend that is across the river that has an access point and a few hundred feet of private water, I can't remember which bridge it is across, but if you look to the left as you cross the bridge, I believe they have a sign out that you can access the river for a small fee, but I could be wrong. Besides, if you are going to be in the Smokies, you HAVE to take a trail up in the mountains and fish! It's beautiful. Just be certain to let a person know where you plan to go and when you'll be back.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:44 PM

Stop by LRO and I'll be glad to show you a few places where you might catch some fish... As far as good flies, yellow stoneflies are still hatching some in the evenings and are mostly a #16 with some starting to get smaller now. Terrestrials work well including the famous Green Weenie and ant patterns. Hope you enjoy your trip!

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-29-2008, 09:14 PM

We're heading up from Atlanta tomorrow, got turned on to this site by a fellow GeoCacher..

Will definitely hit up LRO before I venture out onto the water!

Wondering - are the streams and creeks in the area suitable for wet-wading, or are waders/boots required?

Thx!
..a
Old 06-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

eflyguy

I had students on the stream today and I wet waded quite comfortably. We did just get a really cold rain, but that shouldn't impact it too much...if you are a hardy soul.

Welcome to the board. And, by the way, there is a geo cache site here in Townsend.

Paula
Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Begley View Post
Welcome to the board. And, by the way, there is a geo cache site here in Townsend.
Several, in fact - programmed into my GPS, including the ones at Deals Gap overlook and Look Rock!

On our way!
..a
Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 PM

It's all lies, I tell you - there are no fish in these streams!

Fished the 1/4 mile down from the parking at the end of Middle Prong Rd, then further back near Big Hollow for about 1/2 mile. Nothing rising, nothing biting.

Ran into two fellow fishermen heading back along the road, they'd caught a handful nymphing. Perhaps the drop in temps has halted the hatch?

Nonetheless, beautiful place to wade and practice my casting for a couple of hours..
..a
Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 AM

You need to ask Byron what happened when he told Steve Moore there where no fish in Abrams Creek.