Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-04-2008, 03:13 PM

Default Four Days-4 Rivers

Got back last night from four days of vacation. I had the good luck to be able to fish four different tail waters, Monday thru Thursday. I'll give you the short of the long. Watauga fished just fine. I was downstream a bit from the ball park. Fish took a black leech very well. The South Holston was a bust. TVA never turned off the water on Tuesday morning. Several disappointed anglers. I caught a brown goofing around the edges. The Clinch fished pretty fair up from the church. Some decent action with soft hackles. Moved on to the Caney on Thursday expecting huge numbers of folks fishing. Plenty of room to wade, but the aluminum and fiberglass navies were in full force around Happy Hollow. That is to be expected since it is a boat ramp. Fishing was good with buggers and zebra midges.

Overall the tail waters are fishing fine. The bugger rig with a tandem midge seemd to put me into fish. However, they weren't buying that rig on the Clinch. Fish seemed happier with soft hackles on the swing. Since I was river hopping I did switch out my wading gear. Hope all of you get a similar chance to fish the East Tenn. holy waters. Assuming of course the GSMNP is the holy of holies. Good fishing, Monktrout
Old 07-04-2008, 10:13 PM

Monk,

Of those rivers, which ones can you wade? I've been wading below Center Hill Dam, and would like to try another river when I get the chance.

Thnaks,

BRF
Old 07-05-2008, 09:21 AM

Thumbs up Four Days

Monk,
Wow, you were on the move. Good report.
If you will be this way next Thursday, how about meeting for breakfast?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Post Public wade access

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Monk,

Of those rivers, which ones can you wade? I've been wading below Center Hill Dam, and would like to try another river when I get the chance.

Thnaks,

BRF
You can wade all of them at various locations when the generation schedules cooperate. The Watauga "trophy" section has little to no public wade access but you can wade all through town and at one or two spots between town and the dam, and also at the dam (although that tends to be combat fishing). The South Holston has tons of public wade access between the dam and Bluff City. I've yet to fish the Holston, but from what I've read here on this board and on Hugh Hartsell's website, there's good wade access at a few locations below the dam... just run search on "Holston River" on this board for tons of info. The Clinch has somewhat limited public wade access: Immediately below the dam, at the weir dam, at Miller's Island, and all the way down at the jail/church area in Clinton.

Hugh Hartsell's website is a great resource for info on the Watauga, Holston and South Holston. Just click on the "reports" button and search the archives for tons of info on all three tailwaters.

The Clinch has been the subject of endless hours of debate on this message board so if you want more info just run a search on "Clinch River".

My question for you is... Why would you ever want to leave The Caney

Gerry
Old 07-05-2008, 01:28 PM

Blur Raider, Gery Romer did a good job of filling you in on the wading possibilities. Each river has its charm and challenges. I was disappointed to miss out on fishing the SoHo. Great river. In the end I was thankful to have a few days to fish.

IR, I'll call you about breakfast on Thursday . Mike
Old 07-05-2008, 01:32 PM

Yeah he did I replied to his post, but my reply never showed up...Must be a glitch in my 'puter. I can't wait to try all of the great rivers in and around Tennessee.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:20 PM

I may try to hit the Caney tomorrow. Good to know what they are biting on.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Heyski,

Where in the Smokey's did you take that picture?

Thanks,

BRF