Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Default Whitetop Laural Creek

Heading out here next saturday for a day. I read somewhere that a TN fishing license is acceptable here, does anyone else have any information about this, and any other useful information for this place?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Whitetop Laurel is in VA and therefore requires a VA license. If I remember correctly a VA license is not cheap for out of state either. Kind of similar to out of state TN I guess. I'm thinkingthat you are thinking about Laurel Creek which is a tributary to Whitetop Laurel. Laurel creek flows out of Laurel Bloomery and enter Whitetop Laurel at Damascus VA. I just want to make sure you are on the right creek so you don't get a ticket.

If you fish Whitetop Laurel in VA I think there's a fly section upstream of Damascus along the VA creeper trail.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:09 PM

Yeah you are correct it was Laural Creek, and Virginia does not offer a one day out of state license. But I guess most states do not offer that so I may have to reconsider my plans.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:22 PM

ajh10567,

Shoot me an email and I can give you a some info on a creek or two. Heck I might even go myself for a day trip, or maybe take my tent. Anyway, email ahlstedt@knology.net and I can discuss.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 AM

Message sent
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 AM

I have fished there on the TN side. there is actually a parking spot along the road right at the state line. I have parked there and fished up stream from the VA line.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:37 PM

I have fished Whitetop Laurel a couple of times. It has great access because it is located next to the old Virginia Creeper rail line. Some years back they stripped up the train tracks and turned it into a walking trail so getting into the water is easy right off the trail. I have been told the water holds some big browns under the trestles in the deeper holes.

And VA liscences are super expenisve out of state! $60+ bones for an out of state last time I bought one!

If you go be careful because they have had a rash of car break-ins in the parking area for the Creeper Trail.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 AM

Default Fished 13/14

Fished Whitetop-Laurel this weekend Sept. 13-14 on a trip with cycling friends - they cycled, I fished. Had a great day Saturday fishing from Taylor Valley upstream. Accessible from Hwy 91 (towards Mountain City, TN) out of Damascus, left on Dollarsville Rd (which turns into Taylor Valley Rd.). A cooperative hatch around 11:00 a.m. yeilded several sizeable rainbows and couple of browns, one lunker (15") - well at least for me. Sunday I went higher up to Creek Junction (East on Hwy 58 out of Damascus then right on gravel Creek Junction Road). Walked down the trail about 3/4 mile and fished back up to the parking area. This is non-stocked and artificial only area. Spotted several large rainbows, on the way down and noted their hangouts, but unfortunately low and clear water gave them the advantage on stealth. Still, a couple of fish and great weather, despite remnants of Hurricane Ike streaking up countryside west of us.