Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-07-2008, 06:13 PM

Default Caney Fork 07/07/08- A trip of firsts

Well thanks to all the members on this forum, I caught my first, and only trout on a fly rod today. My dad and I woke up at 3:30 AM and got our boat on the water by 5:30. We caught a few 12-15 inchers under the dam waiting for the water level to reside.

1st first: My dad caught a rainbow that was severely deformed, it had a tumor on it's stomach. We called it the hunchback of the trout world.

We started the float down to Happy Hollow when my dad's spin rod trailing a worm behind the boat bent double. 20 minutes later this badboy was brought in:

He weighed well over 4 pounds, pushing 5 pounds.

Later down the stream neither of us were doing very good with spin casting, so we both switched over to our fly rods. My dad caught a 10 inch rainbow almost immediately on a black zebra midge, and missed quite a few more.

2nd first: I caught a trout on a fly rod for the first time. I was using an Elk Hair Caddis when a trout absolutely slammed it. I got him up to hand, and not only is he a decent sized trout at 14", but a brown! I was extremely excited to have my first fly fishing trout catch be a brown.

3rd first: We were floating still, when we saw a massive fish hiding deep under a log. My dad screams "LOOK! A gar!" but when we got closer I realized that it was a MASSIVE paddlefish that was at least 4 feet in length. Sorry, no pictures, we were moving too fast.

After that, flies weren't the flavor of the day so we both switched back to spin rods. We stopped at our usual spot (#4 and 5 firsts, all in this one spot) and did absolutely fantastic on nightcrawlers. I caught a 19" brown, my dad hauled in a few good trout, and lost even more. My brown:

4th first: I caught a 10 inch brookie, my biggest from the Caney.

5th first: We almost lost the boat because the water level started to rise from the generation. I had just hooked into a nice 15" rainbow when my dad screamed "TREY! The boat!!!" and I looked as it was sliding off the rocks into the fast current. I dropped my rod and ran after the boat, caught it, and drug it onto shore to where it would not come off again. I went back to my pole and the fish was still on

6th and final first: When they start generating, we NEVER catch any fish unless it's an extremely hungry brookie or some little scrapper occasionally. My dad was fishing with nightcrawlers again when he hauls in this monster brown:

I thought he got lucky, so I continued to practice my fly casting. Not even 10 minutes later, he brings in this huge rainbow:

Happy Hollow was in sight when I decided I wanted in on some of the monster fish, but it was too late for the bigguns. I did catch another brookie though, so I'm perfectly content with today's outcome.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ASSISTING ME IN CATCHING MY FIRST TROUT ON THE FLY ROD!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Congrats on your first trout on fly!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 PM

Default Congrats

Congratulations, and those are some nice fish you have there. Thanks for the report and pics.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Nice fish! Congrats!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutAssassin View Post
Congrats on your first trout on fly!
Thanks, it felt a lot better to bring him in by hand rather than be lazy and reel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Congratulations, and those are some nice fish you have there. Thanks for the report and pics.

Travis
We've never caught so many large fish, it was new to us. It sure was a ball though, hope to use the fly rod more next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALflygirl View Post
Nice fish! Congrats!
Thanks. And I left the EHC in my brown's mouth so you could see that I did catch him on the fly
Old 07-07-2008, 10:03 PM

Dang it...It'll take me two years to get in all those firsts!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Congrats! Those are some nice looking Caney trout. Careful though... a few more like that and you may get hooked on that fly rod!!

Nice report and pics.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 PM

Well, some of them aren't necessarily good.

1: Who wants a deformed trout?
2: I did catch my first trout on the fly, so that's good. Haven't you?
3. Paddlefish look extremely scary, and they're endangered.
4. Brookies are pretty spooky, so I am shocked at catching a 10 incher.
5. Almost losing the boat is a bad bad thing.
6. Shouldn't be hard to do, they were still generating when we got to Happy Hollow and there were fly fishermen out there slaying trout.

And Gerry, only that little brown I had was caught on the fly rod. We couldn't get them to take anything but nightcrawlers, and that last brown my dad caught slammed it when they were generating.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 AM

man those are some nice Fish.

glad to see the Caney is fishing soo well. i will be makeing a two day float this weekend.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Congrats on the first trout on a fly rod. Great pictures and nice fish.