Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-09-2008, 05:11 PM

Default Trout on the upper clinch?

I will be staying at a friends cabin this weekend in sneedville tn. The cabin is on the upper clinch. Does anyone know if there are trout in that section? If not, what other types of fishing could i expect?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM

Default Smallies

I have always heard that there is good smallmouth fishing up that way. As far as access goes though, I have no clue. Nice country up there, good luck to you.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-09-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Upper Clinch

Flyguy,
There are no trout in the Clinch River in that area , but there is a small trout stream that was extremely low when I was over there the other afternoon. There is a TWRA launch ramp just as you are coming to the river on Hwy.31. The area has good smallmouth fishing for quite a distance in both directions and can be floated or wade fished. I think that all you will have to do is just ask permission from land owners and they will let you enter across their property. If you do wade fish, be sure to watch for trot lines or jug lines.
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Hartsell; 07-10-2008 at 03:53 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 06:06 PM

Where might I find that trout stream, and would it be worth fishing since the water was so low? If it is worth fishing what size is the stream and what type of flys should I try up there.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Default Questionable stream??

Flyguy,
If you will follow the Hwy.going into Sneedville and when you come to the bridge that crosses the river to go into town--stay straight, instead of turning left to cross the bridge. That will be hwy. 66. Follow it for a mile or two and you will see a road dropping off to the left. That is Chesnut Ridge Road. It follows the river for another mile or two and veers to the right. You will cross some hills and come back to some old houses and a small stretch of creek bottoms. You will see the creek coming in after traveling about 1/4 mile around the edge of these bottoms.It is small and may be unfishable at this time of the year. We are having some rain which may help things and since it is all stocked trout, I would imagine EHC or STIMIS would get their attention on top. I suggest that you go for the Smallmouth. If you really want to have fun, take your spinning outfit and some grasshoppers and try to catch some of the nice yellow cats in the river. You won't be sorry that you did.
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Hartsell; 07-10-2008 at 03:54 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Thank you so much for all of the information, you have been very helpful!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:40 PM

Default UpperClinch

tnflyguy, 18-19 years ago I used to fish the upper Clinch. I seemed to have more luck catching smaller red eye bass than small mouth. They would hang close to the bank. In those days a black and red fly grabbed their attention. I fished on the south side of the river right at the TN/VA state line. I went thru VA from Kingsport and followed a gravel road that paralleled the river. I think that road has good river access but, I don't know how far it went into TN. Keep an eye out for snakes. One floated right next to me. It's getting hot so fishing may be slow. Sure Knots, Monktrout
Old 07-10-2008, 11:03 PM

As much as I hate to say it, Hugh is dead on accurate. Take some white zuddlers or a handful of small chart. poppers along and you will have a ball. Wading the upper Clinch is an adventure, so wear wading boots as the rocks are more like coral then limestone. No need for waders.