Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-04-2008, 11:59 PM

Default elkmont and adams

greetings. couple of days ago i was fishing through elkmont on limited time. didn't get anything until i reached the first pool above the campground which was surprisingly void of swimmers. parachute adams #16. i must've missed a dozen strikes. the fish were right where they were supposed to be but i was too fast on the draw. pulled away too fast every time! frustrating, but good to know i can get strikes. also saw a nice kingfisher over the stream, a very encouraging sign. beautiful day, saw fish and a cool bird. all in all, a great couple of hours.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:57 AM

Hang in there. I guess hang being the key word. You'll get em.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Knucklehead,
Sometimes it's hard to get the timing right, especially if your are fishing through different types and sizes of fish. I bet just about everyone out there has gone after the big boys, and then went up high after some brookies, and yanked the first one right out of the water.
Anyway, when I was a kid I had a bad habit of pulling the fly out of the fish's mouth, especially in calm, clear water where I could see the fish coming. My dad told me to force myself to wait, and not set the hook until I could see the fish's dorsal fin. It doesn't work for every kind of take, but if the fish are slamming dries, like you described them hitting adams'es in a pool, give it a try. Wait till you see the dorsal or the back, and then set it.
If you try this and it helps, I'm glad.
If you try this and it costs you a fish, you should have never listened to me in the first place, so its your own fault.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Griffing View Post
If you try this and it helps, I'm glad.
If you try this and it costs you a fish, you should have never listened to me in the first place, so its your own fault.

I will put this info to use, also.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 PM

excellent advice. finally was able to land a couple of small browns(8-9 in) at elkmont on 9 july using a massive yellow stimulator(4 or 6). the fly looked like an alien on the water and apparently the fish felt threatened, or hungry. i waited, then set the hook and got fish in tree beside the shore! fish got off, fly got rescued and caught another fish. excellent day! oh yeah, i also ssscared a snake into flying of a ledge into the creek at elkmont. crazy sight.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:40 PM

Knucklehead,
Glad to hear it worked out for you, even if a fish or two ended up in the branches.