Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Talking Troutn' of the Caney Fork

Well, my first trout fishing experience was one not to forget. I caught 0 trout, didnt have the right flies, one little nibble on a grub(?) my friend (blueraiderfan) lended me. Those waders I bought ($35 at discount warehouse) were to good to be true, they leaked like a sive, kinda defeated the purpose, however; with no trout caught and wet from the waist down, it was still a good time. Ive been bit by the "trout bug". I now know what will work at the Caney Fork this time of year. I'm lookin foward to my next trip there and will post after that one as well. Good fishin and tight lines to all.
Mark <::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 07-11-2008, 04:58 PM

I got lucky on my first time and caught a 14" brown on an Elk Hair Caddis. I had another one raise to get it but I got excited and lifted too early. Other than that, they weren't interested. What flies are they hitting this time of year? I've heard nothing than "midge midge midge." My dad caught a 10" rainbow on a black zebra midge, missed two, and didn't get any more for the rest of the day.

Off topic: How exactly do you use 2 flies, one as an indicator and the other at the end of the tippet material? I think that would be a brilliant idea, but kind of cheating? I'd like nothing more than to float an EHC as an indicator and a midge as the other one. Could you imagine if one took the EHC, and another took the midge? Sorry Big, I had to ask.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Default tandem flies

i use a 14 parachute adams or a tan caddis as my indicator when fishing the zebra midges .....just tie the dry to your tipit then take about an 18 - 24 inch piece of tippet i have been using 5x as the 6x and 7 x have just lost fish..... tie the length of tippet to the bend in your dry hook then tie the midge to the other end.... you need to make a more sweeping back cast so the flies dont tangle....i think it works better than standard indicators as the dry lands with alot less splash... i have had fish smack the dry not often but last sunday a very large brown grabbed the dry ....he took the whole rig but if i coulda landed him he was near the 18 -20 inch mark ... he actually spooked me as he busted the the fly very aggresivly anything else i can help with just shhot me a line ...im not an excpert on the caney yet but im working on it .. i will be fishing there this coming tuesday if anyone is looking for a buddy for the day .. going to start at happy hollow and fish up stream as long as i can before they generate... tight lines to all
Old 07-11-2008, 07:16 PM

Fishingman, are you familiar with the Caney? At Happy Hollow, going upstream, it gets VERY deep and wooded, so I think you've got the wrong path in mind. I've been told the best wading areas are below the dam (there is quite a large stretch that is not but 3' high) and some stops off Highway 141 (never been myself). I don't wanna read about a fisherman being caught by the generation anytime soon.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 PM

Default Upstream of Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
Fishingman, are you familiar with the Caney? At Happy Hollow, going upstream, it gets VERY deep and wooded, so I think you've got the wrong path in mind. I've been told the best wading areas are below the dam (there is quite a large stretch that is not but 3' high) and some stops off Highway 141 (never been myself). I don't wanna read about a fisherman being caught by the generation anytime soon.
I did this very same thing on my first trip to the Caney. When we arrived at Happy, there were people everywhere. So we took off wading upstream, and it was pretty tricky. But we picked our way through it carefully and had some good luck. The water is slower for the most part, but a zebra midge bounced along the bottom was the ticket. Best of all we had that portion all to ourselves. Now, I would hate to push my luck and stay out there as generation time gets close, but it can be done.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-12-2008, 01:38 PM

thaxs for the insight i was only planning on fishing when they were not generating so i think i will try to pick my way through it and keep an eye on the release times hopefully will find some less spooky and quality fish will bring both spin and flyrod
Old 07-12-2008, 02:45 PM

I've had good luck with scuds and buggers. Midges work, but it's hard to get a larger fish to take one. The scuds (about size 16) worked well and attracted fishes of all sizes.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 07-12-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Old 07-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Thanks BRF, that's what we need to hear. The Caney doesn't seem like much of a river as in terms of water flow and depth, but it can be pretty bad when you don't want it to be.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:50 PM

I've caught 20inch bows in Townsend in the Little River (this was when I was strictly a bait caster) and the Little River isn't any deeper than the Caney and not nearly as wide (at least at that point). The Caney, from what I've seen is an excellent river for trout. You ned to fish a bigger fly like a larger scud or wooly bugger if you want bigger fish, but I've had no problem hooking them when I do use them. Actually getting them in the net is another thing...