Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-13-2008, 07:15 PM

Default Thanks to the Ranger in NC

Just wanted to thank the Ranger in NC who stopped and chatted with me today and finally asked to see my license. This is only the second time since 1994 that I have been checked in the park.

Just got back from two days of tent camping. Fishing was great on Saturday but somewhat more difficult today. Saw some real nice elk on this trip.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 PM

tennswede,

Great picture. I fish over N.C. alot and have been checked on several occasion. I also get checked in Tennessee alot. I know some people who get upset if the park service check them. The way I see it the person is just doing thier job. I try to talk with the park service when ever I can. I get alot of info. on big fish and what the fish are hitting. It is great to see the Elk.

May God Bless you...
Bill
Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 PM

Great picture Hans...

Since 2003...only been checked once on the Davidson and A couple times on the Caney Fork.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Cataloochee

I am assuming you were in Cataloochee since you mentioned the elk. Twice in 2 years now I have been checked in Cataloochee for my license. The ranger who I talked to said that he really makes an effort to check every fisherman he sees.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 PM

This elk strayed from Cattaloochee, let us just say this one was at an elevation of more than 5000ft. I also saw a smaller elk last night right outside the visitor center along Oconaluftee.

As for the ranger, yes I was fishing Cattaloochee this morning. Only caught one brook trout of five inches. I asked the ranger how come I caught a brookie this low. He said they had a big flood in 2005 and he thought some of them got washed downstream.

The fishing yesterday was much better on a small stream in the vicinity, I wish the drive wasn't so far for me.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 PM

Several times now i have seen some elk near the oconaluftee visitors center, although nothing compared to the time i saw almost 10 in the field right before the palmer church in the cataloochee valley.

We need to go fishing somewhere when our schedules will meet up hans. Maybe a trip way up big creek.........
Old 07-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Looks like Balsam Mountain Road. Did you hikle down to the brookie stream at the start of the road?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM

Craig,

I'm always interested in new company. I used to fish with some local folks on this side of the hill but haven't been able to hook up due to conflicting schedules and such. Nowadays I usually fish solo which I like sometimes but other times I would like some company. I do have one regular buddy on here who goes with me quite often.

Anyway, I'm not planning anything major in the near future but I'll keep you posted if anything comes up. I probably won't do any camping until October when I have a trip planned for North East TN again. I'm trying to fish with another board member if we can get our schedules to fit.

If you ever come this way drop me a line ahlstedt@knology.net.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:56 PM

A few months ago, there were reports (I think I read them here) that there was a stray elk in the Cosby area...I can't imagine why he would want to leave that nice valley, hike over some of the highest peaks in the park, over to the other side. Maybe he was tired of having his picture taken.

From everything I've read, and my own experiences there, Cataloochee can be hit or miss. I've done fairly well in Palmer Creek - not spectacularly, but ok. I haven't fished the main stem further down that much...just a few minutes on one of our trips. We've tried the start of Little Cataloochee, but haven't had any success there. We've fished one of its feeder streams, Correll Branch, and did ok with some small brookies. It's a lovely area - worth the long drive, IMO. Of course, for us, ALL the streams are a long drive, so for us, it doesn't matter much .
Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 PM

ijsouth,

The elk you are talking about was spotted above my home in a large pasture feild. I live in the lower Cosby area.This took place a couple of years ago.The bull was a 4x4. He was seen on several occasion. Some of the cattle farmers were afraid that it might hurt some of thier heigers when he began to rut. So they contacted the park sevice and they came and picked him up. It was neat to go out and see a wild elk from my front yard. People have also seen elk in the Del Rio community as well as Bridgeport and Parrotsville. These places are all located in Cocke County and the county does border The county that Cataloocee is located in. All the elk have to do is come across the mountain. My friend has a farm in Hancock County that is located on the Virgina border in North East Tennessee. He has seen a large bull and some cow elk on his farm. These elk maybe from Kentucky or Royal Blue Management Area. He is not for sure. He told me that all of the animals had orange tracking collars on them. I'm glad that these animals were stocked back to the park. I talked to a ranger at Cataloocee and he stated "That Cataloocee had about 80 to 90 elk." I can't remember the exact number. The last time I fished over there I spotted 27 elk, 6 bulls, 4 spikes and the rest were cows or yearlings. 4 of the bulls were feeding below the ranger station. The rest were in the feilds above the station on the left. When you come back up go over and check them out. get over to Cataloocee early to beat the crowds.

May God Bless You... Psalms:23

Bill