Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 AM

That's kewl...my property is in the Caton's Grove area, so maybe sometime I'll see one. I'm just hoping to be in the position sometime to put something on my land...the hotel rooms end up costing $$$. We like to stay in Maggie Valley, so we go over to Cataloochee fairly often - I've also gotten to it the "back way", via the road out of Big Creek...it actually isn't that bad for a gravel road - I've seen far worse "paved" streets in New Orleans - some with potholes that could swallow an SUV.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 AM

ijsouth
Do you fish in the N.c area of the park or do you spend most of the time in Tenn.? I fish in N.C. alot some good water over there. Like any where else it gets hammered each year. I stay on Little River about 75% of the time I fish in the park. From the loction on Cosby you have an advantage you can fish either side of the park. Back to the elk there was one spotted behind Cosby High school a couple of months ago. It was seen quite a bit. The people got use to it being around. When it finally disappeared the locals called the park about it. The park service had already picked it up next to Big Creek around Davenport Gap. This was on the other side of Chestnut Mountain next to the N.C. state line (the road you take from Cosby to Big Creek.) I think it was in Dec. or Jan. It also had a tracking collar on.

May god Bless You...

Bill
Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 AM

It's hard to say which side we fish more...we fish all over. We hit Straight Fork on the N.C. side a lot, but we almost always fish Cosby at least once while we're up there, and this last time, we hit Greenbriar, WPLP, and Elkmont, along with Straight Fork, so it was mostly the Tennessee side.

The closest scenario we have down here to the elk situation are gators; someone will call Wildlife and Fisheries, afraid it will get their dog or something, and they'll capture it and move it to a swamp about 20 miles away. I wish they would just leave them there; I always liked seeing gators where I fished - they keep the gar and the snakes in check.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 AM

ijsouth
That would be cool to see gators in thier natural surroundings. Hope you have a good time fishing when you come up next time. The Cosby is a good stream to fish. Greenbrair is also a good place to fish. I like both of these streams. I have spent a lot of time on both of these water ways. This is where I cut my teeth on fly fishing as a kid with my grand father and uncles. So both of these creeks hold special memories for me.

May God Bless You...

Bill
Old 07-14-2008, 01:01 PM

Man, all you guyd have a place right in the mountains. I'm stuck in the concrete jungle here in Nashville. If any of you guys are interested in living about 1.5 miles from the Titan's stadium, we can trade! I'm ready to move close to trout streams and tailwaters.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:28 PM

Flyman -

Yep, it's cool to see them in the wild...for the most part, when they see you, they bolt; as long as they haven't been fed by humans, they're afraid of us. But, just like bears or any other animal, once they've been fed marshmallows or other junk, they lose that fear...that's when they start going after dogs, etc. For a reptile, they are actually quite intelligent (and quite tasty, I might add - a piece of barbequed gator tail tastes just like a nice porkchop, IMO).

Blue -

There are times I wish I lived up there full time...particularly this year, when calculating the fuel expenses in driving up there, etc. Perhaps when the kids are out of the house, I can build something on my land, and split my time between Louisiana and the Smokies. The New Orleans area is really nice in the Fall and Winter - usually the weather is at least ok (it's certainly more comfortable temp wise), and there are a lot of things going on, right through Mardi Gras. After that, as things warm up, it gets kind of dead around here, so if I could split my time, that would be great - fortunately, my line of work really isn't that dependent on location, so I could handle that. At least, I can dream about it now.