Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-27-2008, 08:14 PM

so you are 3wt? Well, I stopped awhile to watch you but was embarrased to ask how you were doing it.

The current was too much for Cardfly jr. He went over to the bank for awhile but I was afraid he was getting bored so we hit the road. I'm gonna get back down there as soon as possible.

Believe it or not, when I got home I had 14 zebra midges in the mail so I will be ready next time.

How about an indicator?

Hope to see you there again and we can talk.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 AM

Cardfly, I do use an indicator and I set it around four feet deep(a little deeper than the water I'm fishing) Usually I only have to use a black zebra midge but for some reason they quit eating it so I changed to brown and it worked like a charm. We kept fishing until around 7:30 and I ended up with around thirty trout. None over 16 inches.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:10 PM

well, I hope to have a little more time and success next time down.

That's a really nice place to fish.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 08-04-2008, 09:28 AM

may be heading back down again this weekend.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Default Oldtimer

The week of July 13 my granddaughter and I fished several days below Helms Landing and just below the dam and the fishing was awesome. She is 11 yrs old and has been tying flies for for me for a couple of years now. This was her first time to use a fly rod only. She tied lots of pheasant tails size 12 and black midges size 16 and 18. Well this was all she needed, fishing the pheasent tail with the midge dropper and a small orange indicator she kept me busy releasing trout all day long. She is a little small for wading so we were drifting in a Bass Tracker 175 . I can hardly wait until she can start wading with me.

3wt I think I have seen you a couple of times at Helms. Nice fish.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 PM

3wt,

Where were you today? Went to Helm's and did OK. Caught 6, had 2 or 3 opt for the early release program and a bunch of bumps.

Used a 18 zebra midge dropped under an elk hair caddis about 3 feet deep.

Thanks for the info.

By the way, if Hugh Hartsell reads this, thanks for encouraging me to learn the PITZEN knot. It's a life saver.

Last edited by cardfly; 08-16-2008 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: because I've been up since 4 AM!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Cardfly,
I didn't end up going because I saw the water would be up. With the water at 2,020 cfs wasn't it hard to wade out into the river? Glad you had better luck and caught some fish!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:23 PM

We got there a little before 7 and it wasn't bad. I did get tough around 11 so we headed out. Went down to rock house but didn't catch a fish there.

I was much better catching fish this time.