Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-13-2008, 10:07 PM

Default Caney Fork hints/tips

What exactly should I do to maximize my fishing on the fly rod when my dad and I are floating the river? I caught a brown with an EHC, and got another raise, but nothing else was interested. My dad got a rainbow on a black zebra midge, missed two, and no more after that. What should we have in our flyboxes that are a MUST for the Caney Fork? He got a BPS gift card and we're gonna stock up on flies. We have 3 different color midges (black, cream, chocolate), I think olive or copper BHPT (will these produce?), and a few other odd assortments like mosquitos and gnats. How exactly are the BH flies supposed to be sunken? I know they will do it automatically but what stops them from catching bottom? I need anything your hands are willing to type out. Keep the terminology simple, I'm still trying to learn! Thank you!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:42 PM

I get a decent amount of action on scuds. Try any scud size 12-18. The larger the fly the larger the fish that will likely take it. I also had a lot of response to a wooly bugger (olive, but I'm certain other colors woul work a well). I've been wanting to try a clouser minnow and see if I could get a big brown to strike. The Canehy is teaming with trout from what I've seen. Go with larger flies (subsurface) to catch the big ones. You may want to try a dry with a dropper of some sort. Honestly I would try just about anything that runs below the surface if I wanted to catch a lot of fish. 90% of what a trout eats is below the surface, brown and fuzzy and about an inch long. Bright colors work as well. I've had a lot of luck so far on size 16 Orange Scuds and also the same in White. Just my opinion, but I think you'll catch the most by fishing buggers and scuds as droppers with a nice float fly for back up. If you fish the smaller midges, your chances of landing a large trout are smaller than if you fish something bigger, say around a size 12-14.

Disclaimer: All of this advice may be bad.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:52 PM

I've got size 8 and 10 wooly buggers in brown and black, but have NO clue how to fish them properly. I know stripping line, but how much should I strip per pull and when should I stop stripping and cast the fly back out, what length of fly line should be left from the last eyelet on the rod?

And when we were floating over the shoals where there were fishermen, fish were EVERYWHERE. They were all saying that they'd caught one or two, and I giggled inside because I saw where they all were.

And what exactly should I tie on? EHC with a wooly bugger, or what? I need specifics, not necessarily on what exactly to use but moreso than I'm getting.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:57 PM

I've heard from the TWRA guys that the larger trout have moved down to happy hollow and beyond. I still did o.k. below the dam though.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:18 PM

Haha well they're dead wrong... All those fish my dad and I caught were just a mile or two below the dam. He caught the last two around the last bend before Happy Hollow comes into sight, where the river meets up with another part of the river. If you didn't understand that, imagine you're floating straight downstream, HH comes into sight, and to your left there is another river that joins up also flowing downstream. Get it?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Got it. I usually alternate my stipping unless I see that a fish is after the fly and then I speed it up a bit (the trout thinks it's trying to get away). You want the fly to look as thought it's feeding...Stop, go, go more, stop etc...If it's a dry fly, that may not work, but it works good on wet flies. I usually cast the line again once I have about 6ft of float line left on the end of my rod. I figure those last 6ft aren't going to make a difference and it saves me an extra cast, which save my arm some use throughout the day. If you are fishing a dry fly, you basically want to just let it drift. You can move it a touch now and again, unless you are fishing a dropper and then it will move a lot as you retrieve line to bring in your wet fly.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:06 PM

Okay here is my fly box as of current. Left to right, top to bottom.

First row:
2 black zebra midges
1 chocolate zebra midge
1 cream zebra midge
3 copper BHPT
1 tan EHC (black EHC currently on rod)
Next 3 unknown (I believe one is an Adams, unsure)

Second row:
1 beat up midge (found it, alone)
1 unknown fly
2 blue wing olives (I think)
1 black gnat
2 mosquitos
1 "rainbow trout"

Next row starting with orange:
1 orange streamer assortment fly
1 grasshopper
1 black BH wooly bugger
1 brown BH wooly bugger
1 dragonfly nymph
1 "mini bugger leech"
1 smaller black wooly bugger
1 olive scud
1 orange scud
1 tan scud

Last row:
2 nymphs from assortment pack
Last 3 are the ancient "crap" flies
Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 PM

Good looking box. I would fish the big buggers in pools, especially pools that are fed by a water fall of any size. THe big boys wait just below where the water is falling and eat like crazy. Generally speaking, the larger the fly, the larger the fish that will take it. Smaller fish will strike at bigger flies as well, but you up your chances of landing a hog with one IMO. As far as your wet flies, a trout on the caney will take any of those, I believe. Find a nice slow pool in a bend of the river, just where the fast water ends, stop just down stream, toss your big wooly bugger into the fast water (upstream), let it carry it into the pool and start retrieving. It will look like the bugger is swimming down stream and feeding. Just a thought.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 PM

Also, get yourself a couple of clouser minnows. The big hogs like those too.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
What exactly should I do to maximize my fishing on the fly rod when my dad and I are floating the river? I need anything your hands are willing to type out. Keep the terminology simple, I'm still trying to learn! Thank you!

You asked for it, so I'm gonna give it to you straight and simple. Leave everything but the fly rod and fly stuff at home I speak from experience. As long as still have the other rods to fall back on when things get slow, you will never become proficient with the fly.

Oh yeah, I would start with the fly at the top left, and fish it 24/7 for at least the first year. After that, you may move on to the next fly in the box