Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Good looking box. I would fish the big buggers in pools, especially pools that are fed by a water fall of any size. THe big boys wait just below where the water is falling and eat like crazy. Generally speaking, the larger the fly, the larger the fish that will take it. Smaller fish will strike at bigger flies as well, but you up your chances of landing a hog with one IMO. As far as your wet flies, a trout on the caney will take any of those, I believe. Find a nice slow pool in a bend of the river, just where the fast water ends, stop just down stream, toss your big wooly bugger into the fast water (upstream), let it carry it into the pool and start retrieving. It will look like the bugger is swimming down stream and feeding. Just a thought.
Thanks, I'll take all this into consideration tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtyman View Post
You asked for it, so I'm gonna give it to you straight and simple. Leave everything but the fly rod and fly stuff at home I speak from experience. As long as still have the other rods to fall back on when things get slow, you will never become proficient with the fly.

Oh yeah, I would start with the fly at the top left, and fish it 24/7 for at least the first year. After that, you may move on to the next fly in the box
Haha, that's not gonna happen, I enjoy switching but I do like the thought of fly fishing more. I'm gonna use the smallest black wooly bugger tomorrow, and I will switch after a few hundred casts to the black zebra midge or one of the BHPTs.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
You asked for it, so I'm gonna give it to you straight and simple. Leave everything but the fly rod and fly stuff at home I speak from experience. As long as still have the other rods to fall back on when things get slow, you will never become proficient with the fly.

Oh yeah, I would start with the fly at the top left, and fish it 24/7 for at least the first year. After that, you may move on to the next fly in the box
Well said! Without a doubt, the best advice to date... too bad it probably won't be taken.

Gerry
Old 07-15-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
Well said! Without a doubt, the best advice to date... too bad it probably won't be taken.

Gerry

If I were fishing alone and wading I would without a doubt, but since they are generating I will bring my spin rod because we've caught a few nice sized fish on a spinner after they've started generating. I'm still in the process of making "okay" casts so these trips are mainly to finetune that skill while in a boat- no obstructions to get me caught and tangled on, therefore making me a happier beginner. I think you guys are overshooting my current knowledge.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:44 AM

Years ago when i was in the transition stage, i would leave the fly rod leaning against the tree while i spent more time spinning, everytime i left that rod against the tree, it took time away from my learning.
There isn't enough generation now to hamper a fly rod, think deeper.

I've watched Realtyman progress over the last few years from asking tons of questions to teaching his young son how to catch fish, telling me what he sees on the river & what he does to catch fish, he was bound & determined to learn. He befriended a few folks who helped him, i believe he's laid money down to a few guides(not me though) & he's getting it, sure, he still has a few question's, heck i always have a few question's & can learn from even the rank beginner because thy may see something i don't that maybe relative to catching a fish.
The longer you wait, the longer it takes, maybe you enjoy fishing the spinning rod, that's OK to & maybe you'll never quit using it, that's OK to, it will just take longer to learn the ways of the long rod that way, heck, you're young & have time, if i had taken it seriously at your age, i'd be totally wortless now, as it is, i'm just worthless.

Grumpy

Grumpy
Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
What he said...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-15-2008, 11:20 AM

Default yeah...what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
What he said...

Jumping on the bandwagon.....

Nothing against the spinreel but they way I see it, it's a simple, "black or white" way of fishing. The trusty "plug rod" was the way my grandad taught me to fish, but now, I sort of look at that method as "dragging something big and shiny through the water." ......and you can always do that with a fly rod if you feel you're missing some aspect.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Basically, it's the same as when the guy asked how you get to Carnegie Hall...

Practice. Practice. Practice.

You can't expect to become proficient at something without practice. And having any kind of rod handy as a fall back rod takes away from valuable time that could be spent learning because, more often than not, you'll be falling back on what's comfortable the first time you get the least bit uncomfortable with the long rod.

Practice. Practice. Practice.
Gerry
Old 07-15-2008, 02:46 PM

You don't see too many people whittle their own spincast lures out of a hunk of wood Spin casting is to fishing what Faygo is to soda.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
You don't see too many people whittle their own spincast lures out of a hunk of wood Spin casting is to fishing what Faygo is to soda.

ugh, whats' a faygo

Grumpy
Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 PM

grumpy; faygo is those old sweetwater drinks you but at discounts stores when you can't afford the real thing ! leave the boy along let him struggle you going take all the fun out of it , he'll learn soon enough. he'll break that old spinnin rod soon on a carp and be left with longrod he"ll master than. you can lead an old mule to water but you can't make him drinK,