Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 PM

All I can say is that once you decide that you want to go out to fish and not go out to catch fish you will pick up the fly rod more because of the enjoyment of the sport. Hope that makes sense. Also, start tying your own. I believe that is a key part of the sport that will get you to want to work with the fly rod more. You can learn to tie a midge in 5 minutes.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:58 PM

Default Leave the other gear

I totally agree with Heyski. If you want to learn to fly fish, leave the spinning rod at home. You may go thru some hard times but in the end you'll be a fly fisher. It's worth it, imho.

sb
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
grumpy; faygo is those old sweetwater drinks you but at discounts stores when you can't afford the real thing ! leave the boy along let him struggle you going take all the fun out of it , he'll learn soon enough. he'll break that old spinnin rod soon on a carp and be left with longrod he"ll master than. you can lead an old mule to water but you can't make him drinK,

cool Bill that put you at 101 , i'll back out of it.

Grumpy
Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 PM

Okay, this is going to be a long post.

Grumpy- Of course I will never quit using my spin rod cold turkey, but I am already backing away from it. I spent the entire day today working on my casting and practicing different movements and only picked up the spin rod 2 or 3 times. I managed to bring in a 12" brown and a 8" rainbow on a #12 black wooly bugger, and missed a dozen more strikes. I don't even want to go into the number of fish that I had following my bugger throughout the day, so I must be getting better or the fish are more hungry

Gerry- I agree, but I am trying. You guys gotta take into consideration that I picked up a fly rod for the first time maybe a month ago, and have only been out on 5 or so occasions for me to practice on the water. As I said to Grumpy, I didn't fall back on the spin rod much today, only when my tippet would get tangled and I was too lazy to mess with it. I would get bored of the spin rod, and untangle the tippet and start again.

Billy- I am doing my best, don't lose hope on the beginners! Metaphorically speaking, I am VERY thirsty!

heyski and Steve- Next trip I will leave the spin rod at home, now that I'm more confident in my fly casting as of today. I'm nowhere near tying my own flies, or have the resources to start, but I will eventually.

Okay so today I learned a lot, like:

Use a tapered leader to make my casts better, I'm currently using just tippet.
Wait for the pull on the backcast before accelerating forward to cast.
Look back occasionally to see how your loop looks.
And some other stuff.

I met and talked with two fly fishermen today that were more than willing to give me advice. I didn't catch the first one's name, but the 2nd guy I talked to was Dan- our very own fishingman62 here on L.R.O. He was a great guy, helped a lot to talk with someone who has experience, and both guys did. The first guy I talked to was absolutely SLAYING fish on an olive midge, and Dan was catching a few occasionally. Nice meeting you, Dan!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Anyone have more for me?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:15 PM

It took me a while to put the spinning rod aside. once I got my confidence up I just left the spinning rod at home. I like the fly rod trout fishing because I feel it gives me more options of what to present to the fish. If I am getting no results on a dry, I can add a dropper. if that does not work I can swing a bugger or wet fly in the current. Or strip a clousser. I still use a spinning rod at times, working a floating Rapala in the fast water can be a real killer sometimes. Confidence is the main factor, you don't have to have a perfect cast or drift on the Caney, and if all else fails swing an olive bugger in the current. Once you feel confident then head to the mountains, where a good cast and perfect drift is need and you will not pick up a spinner to trout fish again.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 PM

The thing I already absolutely HATE about fly fishing is the constant changing of flies. I hate tying fisherman's knots, they're a pain with the smaller flies. I went a few days ago and caught a few on the smallest wooly bugger in my fly box picture, that made me feel better. But I'm learning new things constantly. I can't get my casts straight yet because I don't have the proper leader/tippet setup. I've got one of those straight needles that goes inside of the fly line, and you just attact tippet to that and you're ready to go. I guess I need to go get a tapered leader, and then attach more tippet on top of that and my casts will look better.

Also guys, I'm saving up for one of the TFO Pro series rods, the 5 weight 9' pole. You said to worry more about the rod than the reel, right?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:28 AM

I guess I should merge all of my questions into this thread that way I will never lose track of information. I've been looking at the TFO NXT outfits, my rod and reel are both mediocre at best. Is this a good deal?
Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 AM

Default Reel is important too!

I don't personally own any of the TFO rods (yet), but they do have very good reputations and would most likely serve you well.

I don't know that I agree with putting a lot more emphasis on the rod than on the reel...escpecially on the Caney Fork. I think you should buy the best rod you can, while still being able to purchase a good reel to match it. The biggest difference between a good reel and a cheap reel is the drag. I've had a couple of "cheap" reels in my time, both of which came with outfits. The drag would mess up on me after a few good uses, especially if the reel happened to get dunked in water.

In the Smokies, I don't know if I can remember a fish ever stripping line off my reel. But on the Caney Fork, it seems like I get into at least one fish every trip that starts pulling line. You don't want a reel with a crappy drag when you're in a fight with a good fish!

My current reel is a Lamson Konic, which I've been extremely happy with. Many people will also recommend the Orvis Battenkill. You can get either right here on LRO's website for under $130. My point is...don't spend all your money on a good rod, then buy a $40 reel to put on it.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:43 PM

All I've heard is "rod rod rod" and nothing about the reel. Honestly, I think I agree with them because it's main purpose is just to keep your line out of the water and let drag out. My reel is 15+ years old from my dad's old setup, and it has the pinky trigger instead of a crank reel. So I'm much more worried about the rod than a reel, but if that NXT outfit is any good that is most likely what I will buy.