Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 PM

Default Good day on the ELK

Went to some private land about 5 miles down from the dam and caught fish all afternoon. Broke two off that looked to be big rainbows (stupid knots).

Caught most on an EHC with a 20 Zebra dropper. Bout half and half on which fly caught more.

Caught and missed all the big fish on a fly I tie that sort of resembles a wooly with no tail and some flash. I've seen so many small fish come and take a swipe at the tail of my wooly's that I took it off. Seemed to work.

First time ever for my 14 year old nephew to fly fish and now he's jabbering and won't shut up. ;-)

God Bless
Old 07-15-2008, 10:08 PM

Did he do well? Makes me feel like a wimp, being almost 18 and no good at fly fishing
Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 PM

Yes, I think every one he caught I actually cast the fly but it was just because he couldn't get the presentation down right. Hey, 1/2 hour of instruction and we hit the water so he was a greenie for sure. He can cast well for a person just starting though! He lives about 1/2 hour from a cabelas and bass pro so i'm sure the next time he's in town he's gonna be decked out ;-)
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Okay that makes me feel a little better. My casts are still pretty awkward, but I'm workin' on it. Good to hear that you did well.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:36 PM

Talking

Thanks for the report! "Caught fish all afternoon"...sounds like a great day to me! Glad your nephew had a good experience.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 AM

he did, and he's STILL at my house talking about it! ;-)
Old 07-16-2008, 07:46 AM

Default I fished the elk on Tuesday also

Great Report! I fished the Elk for the first time ever on Tuesday afternoon. I was on my way from Nashville to Chattanooga and stopped off. I had never been there and went to the first access below the dam. I was able to fish for around an hour before they began generating. The fishing was excellent. I began with a wolly bugger but after seeing some rises switched to a BWO in a size 16. It seemed to be the ticket as I caught about 18-20 brown's in the hour I had to fish. After the sirens went off announcing the release of water, I went and got some supper and came back and fished until dark. The water was still up some and the fishing not as good, but I did manage another 5 or 6 small browns and rainbows. Right before dark I had a good fish on that broke me off. I definitely will fish this again!

I didn't check in to my hotel in Chattanooga until around 11:15, but slept well after a relaxing evening of fly fishing

God Bless,
Dances with Trout
Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 AM

awsome report i hope to hit the Elk real soon.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 AM

Default Elk

Thanks all for the reports. Plan to be on the Elk this afternoon(Wed.). The warmer water has not put the fish off the bite, at least not within five miles of the dam. Might as well fish on top when you can. Monk
Old 07-16-2008, 11:25 AM

Same thing I had to do Monktrout. I had to give up on my favorite spots and move up river. My old haunts just didn't have any trout anymore. Either they stopped stocking becasue they know they won't survive or they're just not surviving!

Funny thing that I forgot to mention. There was a couple up river of where I was when I got there. I stopped to chat before I walked down river and they said that the fish were hitting everywhere (and they were, I mean around their feet) but they couldn't catch them. I thought "oh no, what's going on"?
Well, I just looked things over for a bit and could tell that they were eating near the surface but not on it (been there done that) so I suspended the midge under the dry and caught one first cast. Caught several after that on same set-up. I guess you just have to think things through sometimes. Reading threads on this site is where I got most of the knowledge that I use! ;-)

Also, when you see a fish as big as your calf sitting in the soft current right in front of you, a fish that would be worthy of a serious picture taking session, and he won't eat ANYTHING. What do yall do?? I mean I tried all the tricks. He was eating occasionally, that's how I could see him when he moved to feed, but I couldn't tell what and nothing Ihad for him interested him! Any ideas