Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Frustrating Day on the Caney

Frustrating Day on the Caney

Just wanted to post this report after becoming totally frustrated on the Caney today. I fished most of the morning and did not have any luck. I was using black and grey midges, and could actually see trout that was 20 inches or more 6 to 8 feet from me. Can someone out there get me some pointers when you can actually see the fish that size but they are not cooperating? Today was not a good day but the Caney is still one of the best places I ever fished for trout.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 PM

I see a lot of big fish on the Caney that don't cooperate. What part of the river were you fishing?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:01 PM

Those big fish aren't gonna bother taking tiny flies like that. You gotta think, they'd rather make more of an effort for a larger meal than a smaller effort for something not as satisfying. There is a long section under the dam that never gets above about 3' in depth that I've seen fly fishermen catching 6-10" trout on nearly every cast. They're all over the place. I've never really seen a fly fisher pull in anything above 15", so I gotta keep watching I guess.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
Those big fish aren't gonna bother taking tiny flies like that.
You might be surprised at what a midge will catch on the Caney.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 PM

Ok, I ask questions like this all the time but this time i'll try and give you an idea of what I do. I had a fish in the elk do this to me last week; frustrating. The only luck I have ever had with fish like that is with big baits. Like my Colorado guide buddy always tells me, "a trout will not expend more energy to get a meal than the meal contains". Simply put a big trout likes big things. They also didn't get big by being dumb. If you can see them, they can see you, and your tippet, and your hook, etc.

Ok, in NC where I grew up I was a trout fanatic, but I was a spin fisherman. The way I used to catch the bigger trout that sit there like there oblivious is by triggering them to strike out of instinct. If I could see them in the current or in a pool I would find a way to work my lure up to them as unnoticed as possible. From the rear if possible and over there shoulder at the least. This sudden appearance of a wounded baitfish would either send them scurrying to the depths or cause them to hammer it like it was their last.

I have made this work several times recently in the elk on 14-16 fish that I could see. An olive wooly with lots of flash ripped by them as fast as I could yank it has gotten me several good fish and several broken tippets (stupid knots).

But.....there's a fish that I see just about every time I go that is pushing the 20+ range. I think he laughs at me.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 PM

Default Will Try All Suggestions

Thanks guys for all the info. I will give it a try the next time I am at the Caney. I was fishing below Happy Hollow.
P.S. It makes me feel better to know I am not the only one that has problems with the big ones.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
But.....there's a fish that I see just about every time I go that is pushing the 20+ range. I think he laughs at me.
SO true! I was fishing with a black wooly bugger at the Caney and I brought it over the back of a HUGE brown (30+ inches) swimming in a current, and he finned over away from the bugger about a foot or so, and kept swimming right where he was like "Hah... you fail."

I don't know what it takes to catch those monsters, but I do know I don't have it

I'm content with catching a ton of trout in the 6-10" range if they're consistently biting the same thing, I hate switching out flies.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Wink Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
I don't know what it takes to catch those monsters, but I do know I don't have it

I'm content with catching a ton of trout in the 6-10" range if they're consistently biting the same thing, I hate switching out flies.
I know it sounds superficial, but there is no substitute for experience. I have been flyfishing for 15 years, and have just now gotten to the point where I can consistently catch quality fish. With experience you learn how to read the water more efficiently, you can better determine the best way to approach a likely holding spot for the first time, and you can immediately relate something you are currently seeing to a past experience and lessons learned. I feel that my first drift by a fish, especially a quality fish, is my best chance at getting a strike. If my drift on that first attempt is not as good as I can get it, then I won't get the best fish in the spot if any strikes at all. My fly needs to be at the correct speed, location, and even elevation in the water column. Also, another thing I have done this year to entice some larger fish is to switch to 12' or longer leaders and step down to 6x fluoro. In addition to this, a down or across and down approach has been much more favorable for quality fish. I know that the easiest approach is to cast directly upstream or quartering upstream, but I have seen this method put down large fish too many times. The across and down approach really makes one work on the mending skills too, and that is another very vital component. These larger fish have quite a few years on them, and they know when something is not acting or drifting naturally.

Just my 2 cents....

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Good stuff! Thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 12:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

On my last trip to the Caney I landed a 19" brown that took a size 18 midge pattern. It was a grey thread midge with a silver bead and silver wire and a couple pieces of flash tied in behind the bead. He certainly didn't seem to mind that it was small. Got him in the second deep pool below the first bluffs/shoals. I had my midge dropped about 3' below a yarn indicator just drifting with the current through the pools. He was laying up agains some ledges on the 141 side of the pool.

Gerry