Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-18-2008, 11:33 PM

Default South Holston help

What would be the fastest way to the South Holston from Cosby? Also what kind of flies would a person need to fish with on this river?

May God Bless You...

Bill
Old 07-19-2008, 06:51 AM

Default Cosby to South Holston

Good morning Bill,
Drive from Cosby to Newport, and then toward Morristown. You will come to I-81 on the other side of White Pine. Get on I- 81 and drive to the second Blountville exit (69). Take Hwy. 394 to the intersection of Hwy 421. Turn right and drive 2 miles until you see the TVA South Holston Dam sign. Turn right and follow the signs to the Weir Dam. You can also drive to Greenville and hit Hwy. 11-E. It will take you to the Bristol Motor Speedway, which is on hwy. 394. If you choose to take that route, just turn right on 394 and drive to hwy. 421. Good fishing to you.
Hugh

I almost forgot. Sulfurs are the fly to have with you. You can use Sulfur Compara Duns or Spun Duns. The fly that I found to be the most effective was the Tan Wulff. It caught fish when the others did not. It's tied with a dyed tan calf tail real similar to the way that you would tie a Thunderhead. Snowshoe hare would work just as well if you have either.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:08 AM

Default Hugh Hartsell

Thank you for the info. Do you think a person has a chance for a big Brown using big nymphs when the water is low at South Holston? If so what type of nymphs? I fish with big flies #6 hook or #4's. I weight all my flies that I fish with. Do you think this type of fly is to big? Again Thank you for the help. Really like your crow fly I tye a crow fly with twist ( palmer style) that starts at the back end of the fly body and twist its way to the eye. I have really good luck with this fly...

May God Bless You...

Bill
Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 AM

Default flies for big browns

Bill,
From all the experience that I have had on the South Holston, you will not catch big browns with large nymphs during low water conditions. You may catch one on a small nymph imitating a SULFUR NYMPH, but right at the moment, your best chance is going to be using a Sulfur dry or an emerger. A smaller Sulfur nymph, or a Split Back Nymph is also good. Your best shot at a big brown with large flies is when they are generating. That's when the big fish start to feed. If you can catch a pulse or 1 turbine just as the water is dropping; that is a productive time as well. Good luck.
Hugh
Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 AM

Default Hugh Hartsell

Thank you for the help. I am looking forward to fishing on the South Holston. I've heard nothing but good things about this river. Hopefully I will get to go up and fish it in a couple of weeks.

May God Bless You...

Bill
Old 07-20-2008, 10:44 PM

Default Other soho flies

Ive been havin good luck on sz 22 red zebra midges. Also do a map search of Rockhold Rd. There are some good spots on that road. And get there early if you wanna fish with the water low because they start running around 10, but if your on Rockhold Rd you can fish till 12 or so. Also do a map search of Big Springs Rd.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:38 PM

Default Wynnsman thanks

Wynnsman,
Thank you for the info. Have you caught any large Browns on the South Holston?

May God Bless You...

Bill
Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 PM

Default large soho browns

Hey man no problem for the info, ill hit you up sometime. Here are a few pics of some browns from the soho.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 AM

Wynnsman,
Super fish. My daughter would say "what whopper dandies". I hope to hook one of those big guys. Fish like that are worth the drive. I have fished on the Watauga a couple of times. Really liked fishing there. The last time I was there they turned on the water. We got lucky and got out before it got real bad. The generation report said they would not be generate the day we were fish until 12:00pm. So I have been a little gun shy about going back. Again I want to think you for the info.

May God Bless You

Bill
Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 PM

Default Generating on soho

I hear ya loud and clear on the generating, I got almost washed away one day myself. What ive been doing here lately is fiahing near or at the weirs then when they turn on the water I drive down river and fish another 2-3 hours. That seems to work out well and the bigger fish seem to be down river too. If your little one like big fish check this one out a buddy of mine caught spin fishing on the Soho. 12 pounder.