Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-19-2008, 11:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default Little River Report 7/18

After reading and reading about the TN side of the Park I have decided that it is on my priority list. Yesterday after I got off work I decided to time the drive to Elkmont and wet a line. Just a little over an hour from Balsam via the BRP and Newfound Gap Road, I made good time arriving around 530. We walked in around a half mile from the little river road t railhead and as soon as we hit the water we were catching fish. There were several vehicles at the gate, and we passed several people along our walk in. I met one gentleman who said he had just seen the famous bear who likes to grace hi s presence to fisherman. I only saw 4 or 5 people walking back out with poles, but we did run out of active fish and into what I presumed was water that had already been fished. I wish that everyone would take their pudding packs, granola bar wrappers, etc. out after they eat.....there is just no place for that on the water. All in all it was a good trip, expensive for a Friday afternoon, but I got to see some new water. I loved the way the water was laid out. one of the prettier stretches I have fished. We ended up bringing around 20 fish to hand in 2 and a half hours the biggest being around 10". I landed several fish over 7" Orange Palmer #12 and #12 BHPT...got to love them.... All we caught were rainbows, I assume there may be some browns?? I rolled one Big fish on the BHPT, all I saw was his side around 40 feet in front of me....Looked to be well over 12 inches...Unfortunately I was a little sheepish on the hook set and he managed to stay loose. I encourage everyone to take Byron's advice in the Fishing Report....This section of stream was productive and beautiful...here are a couple pretty rainbows...
Old 07-19-2008, 11:39 AM

I was there a couple of days ago and didn't get a nibble. I walked until the river looked like it was too far down the bank to get to and then back tracked to a spot I could get in. Fished for about 4 hours and didn't even get a bite.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

It was a little on the slow side but I was getting quite a bit of action to obviously be fishing behind someone... I think that right now if you have on a BHPT and don't get any strikes, then either someone is right around the corner and just waded through, or someone has been rocking the creek...
Old 07-19-2008, 12:42 PM

Imay try not even getting in the water next time. I used a BHPT and didn't see squat. I was on about a mile, but I still saw hikers from Elkmont.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:19 PM

Speckleman5,

Just today I reported that the fishing was slowing down. Now I read your report and maybe I'm wrong. But, you are obviously a good angler. Thanks for the kind words about the Fishing Report. And you are right, the Little River above Elkmont is one of the most beautiful streams I have seen.

Byron
Old 07-20-2008, 05:23 AM

Nice report Speckleman. That's one of my favorite areas. I get kinda jealous of the NC side sometimes with the whole fontana area but I just go to Elkmont and all that leaves my mind.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:06 AM

souds like some nice fishing and some nice fish
Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 PM

Oh yeah, congrats on the fish!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:21 PM

Speckleman5,
Nice report and great pics. I really enjoy fishing at Elkmont. The stream holds alot of fish. The fish can be picky this time of year on this body of water. Sounds like you had some fun and got into some fish. I talked to Brown Trout Man and his Grand Dad they had a tuff time fishing Elkmont on Saturday. They did however catch some fish and have some fun. There are some good Browns In this river but like other streams in the park they are on the spooky side. I have caught several nice Browns from below the camp ground up to the high bridge that crosses the creek. It is a couple of miles up to the bridge from the old iron gate. The park has placed a rock in the trail where the gate use to be. I fish some on the N.C. side. I like the streams over there.

May God Bless You...

Bill