Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 AM

Default tremont dam

anybody know anything about the tremont dam? i was wandering around that area the other day and came across it. i'd say its about 10 feet high and 20 or so feet across. very odd structure.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 AM

If this is the one above the Cascades this is the structure that is the remnant of an old "splash dam"....the old logging companies would dam up the river and back up the water so that it would float their logs....when all was ready they would open the dam and the resulting "splash" would carry the logs down stream to the main river where they could be floated to the lumber yard in Townsend....this would have been quite a site when it hit the area of the Cascades....can read more about this and other techniques used to harvest the trees in this area in the book "Last Train to Elkmont"...can get this at Park HQ
Old 07-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Default Tremont dam

Love Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremont,_Tennessee Wonder who wrote up this submission? Anyone here?

sb
Old 07-29-2008, 12:21 PM

Default Tremont Dam

I think you're talking about the dam over by the institute, correct? I believe that dam was originally built of the tremont community. Thought some others would weigh in. I will get a book or two out and reread. Pretty sure that was a water supply dam though for the Tremont community.
Best,
John
Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 PM

Was aware of a dam by the institute....don't fish down that low...my reference was to the remains of an old wooden splash dam up above the cascades....has always been a nice pool above the dam and one below it...if you have fished past it you know what I am talking about
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 PM

I have always wondered about those pools above the cascades. I have noticed that the pools could have been formed by a dam. But have never noticed that there use to be a dam there. Last train to Elkmont is a very intresting read that explains the splash dams.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 PM

For years there was one particular spot a little ways above the cascades that had the wooden remnants of a splash dam....couldn't miss it...what remained was a wooden base that may have been about thigh high standing directly below it...until I read the book I had just assumed someone had put it in there to create a swimming hole.....would have like to have been a little bird at the cascades when they cut one of those dams loose....what a sight it must have been
Old 08-02-2008, 11:14 PM

Default tremont dam

if anybody is interested in seeing it, it's approximately 2.3 miles upstream from the road. park on the road, walk across the stream and then back down a small trail about 100 yards. i too would've loved to see the dam in action.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 AM

Anyone have a photo of the remains of the dam? I'd love to see it.

I think my son an I stumbled upon it last time we fished up Lynn Camp but am not sure what I was looking for or at.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 PM

The last time I saw the remains it looked like someone had made a wooden dam across Lynn Camp....there used to be a pool about 3 ft deep behind the remains and most of the water was coming over the top....from what I can tell this looks to be the base of the splash dam....just above it I seem to recall a small feeder stream coming in from the far side....like I said earlier it looks like someone just tried to dam up the stream to make a swimming hole....